Film, Fiction, Non-Fiction and Life in General

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Film, Fiction, Non-Fiction and Life in General

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:01 am

For example, Netflix Shows someone wants to share or discuss.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Film, Fiction, Non-Fiction and Life in General

Post by laurav on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Orange is the New Black Season 5 was okay. That is all. I would recommend Wentworth for those who like OITNB

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 pm

I have heard a lot of Wentworth being Orange is the New Black on steroids. I have watched Orange is the New Black sporadically here and there. It has some great moments. Borders on the crude a little too much for my tastes on occasion.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:23 pm

I have been watching Wentworth since it came out. The characters are better developed, the acting is MUCH better and it's more believable than OITNB. They also get pretty crude too.

I'm watching Legends now. It was out for two seasons '13/'14 but I enjoy it. Game of Thrones will be back soon but that season always passes so fast. I watch Doctor Who regularly. The Marvel and DC series' are ones I enjoy as well as the sappy Grey's Anatomy.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:27 am

I don't watch many shows, but I enjoy Grace and Frankie a lot, I've heard The Handmaid is amazing, may have to try that soon...

Waiting for many shows to return: GoT, Westworld, maybe American Horror Story. It's gone downhill for the past few seasons, which I can't comprehend how a show can get boring when you have infinite creative control to change characters and story lines from season to season...

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Westworld is going to be a while. It was JUST renewed and started filming. I never watched Grace and Frankie nor American Horror Story. The Handmaiden's Tale is AWESOME. The roles are wonderfully cast. One line that I loved was "If they didn't want us to become an army they shouldn't have given us uniforms" - just powerful.

I finished Legends last night. Started watching the 2nd season of Preacher which is pretty gory. I'd forgotten how nasty it can get. It's "over the top" gory though so I can usually watch it. I started watching "Downward Dog" when it first aired. It's a silly sitcom based on a dog's perspective and he plays 4th wall often explaining what he's feeling and how he sees things. It's comical.

One of my favorite shows that I need to catch up the season on is The Americans. Also the Blacklist (Didn't like Redemption), The Fall, The Expanse, Timeless, 12 Monkeys, No Tomorrow, Mercy Street, The Last Kingdom..... I've got a pretty long list of shows I'm behind on. LOL Orphan Black is my next binge watch though. I really want to see how this season pans out. Although from your reactions I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:12 am

Grace and Frankie is funny, I love Lily Tomlin. I haven't heard of most of the shows you mentioned Dee but Blacklist made me think of Black Mirror. That one has some very interesting and thought provoking episodes...others are just weird

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm

I liked Grace and Frankie. It is amazing acting when you take into account their age. Anyone ever see the old Nine to Five movie with Lily Tomlin?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Also has Jane Fonda (of course co star from Grace and Frankie) and Dolly Parton. It may be on netlfix.

I have only watched pieces of GoT, mainly because I was overwhelmed by some of the scenes I was warned about, and it might be too much violence for me.

I like Black Mirror, Blacklist was watcheable although characters lacked depth and it was a classic thriller show--which is fine. I really liked Rectify on Netflix. Good show. Good acting.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:05 pm

I remember 9 to 5 well. Not really a fan of Jane Fonda. She always hit the aggravation nerve, perhaps because of her aggressive activism.

I recall wanting to watch Black Mirror. Not sure if I did or not. I'll have to go find a clip to see. GoT is very violent. Lots of chopping, stabbing, murder and mayhem. The depth of the characters and how they intertwine is really well done. They strayed from the books but only because it flowed better on the screen.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Kind of like Thirteen Reasons Why was for you GoT would probably trigger my PTSD. Maybe I should try the books sometime but I have not read for ages. I basically listen to NPR all day. I catch CNN and Netflix et al. in the evening after the kids crash. Is it sad what my life has become? Jk.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:49 pm

The violence is basically amped up LOTR caliber with various families rather than species interacting with an overhanging doom of "winter is coming". "Winter" brings along the "White Walkers" - similar to zombies, but frozen/altered creatures created from humans. They live in the far north above "the wall". Winter comes and lasts many years and in that time the White Walkers try to escape the north, breech the wall and invade the 7 kingdoms.

The warring is a part of it so yes, it might trigger your PTSD. Use caution if you decide to watch. It's a lot of camelot meets walking dead.

My day is filled with waking up, getting from the bedroom to the living room, getting on the computer, starting my laptop and computer running on swagbucks, and pass each day. Sometimes it's broken up with short trips but even those have become shorter. I've enjoyed having Jacy here because he's broken up the monotony.

Ripper Street is a good one if you like "Jack the Ripper" mythology and it just returned for it's 5th season. It's not horribly gory although there is some. Killjoys has also returned, it's a space/science fiction show. Also Dark Matter of the same genre. I like a lot of different shows. Anne was pretty good, a reboot of Anne of Green Gables. I really do watch too many shows! LOL

Enjoy your day. I'm going to go shower and talk my sweety into a nice ride. Perhaps up to Ludington for the sunset on the lake or out to Grand Rapids and points east. There's a restaurant in Ionia that is the best Chinese food I've ever had. Maybe we'll just head southward to Kalamazoo and Holland or Zeeland. (Yes, they're real cities). Perhaps I'll share photos, if you'd all like that. I have caught a few interesting ones over the past couple of weeks where the clouds parted in such a way with the sun behind them that it looked like Doctor Who's "crack" in time.

Then again, he's tinkering with his computer - he had a bad stick of ram that he mistook for a bad sector and had wiped his terrabyte drive. He's been swearing at it for two days now trying to get it to work again all the while pissed that he mis diagnosed it and made more work for himself. When we were in bed last night he realized there was a whole other, much easier,
way for him to fix this. So I may not be able to tear him away, then again,
it looks like he has a system back so we shall see.

Enjoy your day! Nothing special planned here since I'm without weed and really hate fireworks with a stormy passion. This will be an interesting holiday Sad

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Dee, please share pictures. I love the more human connection.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Here are a few I've taken over the past few weeks.

Taken downtown over Muskegon Lake (The silos are right on the bank of the lake)

Taken at Heritage Landing at the pointe. It's a peninsula surrounded by Muskegon Lake. The silos are off to my right in this photo.

We have some fantastic sunsets here.  Lake Michigan and Muskegon Lake are connected by "the channel". We get large ships in here and even have a Great Lakes cruise ship that docks here at this pier. It's a new thing for Muskegon to host the ship so everyone is on their toes trying to put a best foot forward. The transit authority has a "trolley" (a bus made to look like a SF trolley car, it's a bit campy) that they make available to passengers and they take them into the "new" downtown. I'll try to get pics of what they've done downtown. It's quite a transformation!

He's gone for a nap now (computer appears to be fixed) so I'm not sure if we'll get out of here today. It makes me sad since it's such a beautiful day.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Oh my gosh. That is spectacular. You are a good photographer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:23 pm

You're way too kind. Smile I finally got the phone I wanted, an LG V20, and it has a great camera in it. Typical of LG cams though, zoom really sucks. I cropped the first picture so you could see the "crack" in the sky I was talking about. Smile I'm about to go and shake him awake. A 3 hour nap is enough. I want to GO! LOL

If he's not going to build my trailer box, then let's get out of here and enjoy the good weather before the explosions start. I really HATE the 4th of july.
I'm sure you can relate. I will never be able to comprehend how blowing things up is a celebration of our nation's independence.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:13 am

Those are really good pictures, Dee. Gordie used to talk a lot about Michigan. It sounded like a very interesting place. I've never been. I have also never been to the West Coast. I really need to see more of America. I have only really spent time in Florida and New York.

The fireworks will drive Zoe insane at night. New Year's was really bad.

In terms of shows, Black Mirror very watchable, very twisted. Blacklist I did watch although not all the seasons. I liked The Break, a Belgium show. Ingobernable was a weird one. Maybe a little too much of the melo-drama. I think Jane the Virgin is hilarious if anyone has ever seen that.

I just finishe Bloodline, which was disappointing and incoherent at the end. House of Cards of course. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is amusing, although I have never gotten completely into it.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:15 am

I did like Rectify a lot in terms of character development. The Man in Highcastle is another one I quite enjoyed.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:34 am

I started Gypsy last night after posting. It is really good. About a therapist (Naomi Watts) obsessed with her patient's ex girlfriend.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:37 am

PS: I kind of like it because it ties into what we were discussing most recently on the Forum about relationships. Very odd timing.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am

Michigan is very diverse. Everything from cities like Detroit and Grand Rapids to beach cities like mine, wilderness of the UP and other areas in the lower peninsula. The Great Lakes are beautiful. I was raised near the ocean, so it's a bit lacking for me but they have their own appeal. Still have the flying rats (seagulls) though!

I havent' seen Bloodline or Gypsy but will put them on the list to watch. Others have suggested Rectify. I'll have to get a few episodes. Man in the High Castle is fantastic! I love history and I really love sci fi. When the two are mixed, I'm hooked.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Gypsy is not worth it. The first couple episodes were good and then it just developed into a fairly rambling and at times creepy melodrama.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:25 am

I would give Wentworth Season 5 five stars. Just finished it. It is really a testament to strength of the story writing, visuals, and acting that they were able to (avoiding spoilers) do what they did at the end of Season 4 and deliver their strongest season yet in my opinion.

I have a question my husband and I have always argued about. He does not care for foreign and British dramas, specifically in this context tends to be the Netflix Originals. My issue is fact that I feel many (not all by any means) of the American shows are so hyper produced, that I find it harder to get lost in the show. The acting is not raw, the screen writing seems predictable and unrealistic, and the settings are dull.

Thoughts?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:28 am

PS: camera angles were really good in wentworth.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:55 am

I think American shows have gotten too rubberized and plastic. I cannot even get into most network television anymore.

We over produce our television and movies thanks to Hollywood, and there is a dearth of intelligent and sophisticated shows.

Not saying it is all bad or being too much of a purist, but I think once it became clear that screenwriters could churn out formulaic shows and the public would eat it up, they became unadventurous and sold the public short. Netflix and Amazon have proven that audiences are far more interested in "indie" shows than producers and screenwriters think.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top