General Discussion and Updates

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by laurav on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Partially I am skeptical whether anxiety among an age and socio economic group has increased--meaning I am open to being persuaded but not convinced.

I do think a large group of Americans need to get off the crazy train but this is not recent-- it is an obsessive and status driven way of going through life that ends up being about checking off boxes than actually living one's life to the fullest, and I have had plenty of exposure to that subset of the population. I am in no way implying you or your family are in that boat btw Maria, just speaking generally.

By the time I had ceased my substance abuse, I decided I was just over it and quit engaging in the frantic behavior of my peers. And it is all so stupid, like the idiotic way people went into collective frenzy about the bar exam or finals, spending countless wasted hours on memorizing shit they don't even need to memorize.

I still have a lot of anxiety in certain areas--I am super into organization and order, but reality is that it is just an obsessive compulsive way of deluding myself that I am controlling the areas of my life where I don't feel in control.  I need to find a way to unhook my brain fully from the matrix. That is the only cure for the afflicted Sad

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:03 pm

You just got a new page award you little, high achiever! You can add that to your statement of purpose for your college application.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:23 pm

You actually took two bar exams right?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 pm

So is anxiety a product of our culture, and is anxiety increasing in terms today because society is 'on the crazy train.'

Maria assuming your oldest daughter attended the same high school, so you feel in the time that has elapsed that the school has become more demanding of young people than they were when your oldest daughter went through?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Admin wrote:You actually took two bar exams right?

I took New York and then Florida so one in the summer and one in the February testing period. But I only took each one once. I didn’t fail if that’s what you meant.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 pm

I meant it the way you answered it, not that you had failed and retaken. Sorry for any confusion.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Admin wrote:I meant it the way you answered it, not that you had failed and retaken. Sorry for any confusion.

It's cool. I am thinking about getting back into science and scrapping law for a while after this summer's drama.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:21 am

laurav wrote:
Admin wrote:I meant it the way you answered it, not that you had failed and retaken. Sorry for any confusion.

It's cool. I am thinking about getting back into science and scrapping law for a while after this summer's drama.

Yeah the crazies sure came out in force.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 am

Dee, how have you been? What do you think about anxiety related issues in youth? Is it worse today and is it because of a certain socio economic class obsession with status?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:23 am

I have not even followed this week's round of politics, the entire feud about the military condolence calls was just too idiotic and unfair to servicemen and women.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:35 pm

I am not sure about the increase in anxiety among youth either other than my own experience with my own kids. It could be that Sonya is anxious being on the same campus as Katya and hear her scream or cry?
However this new school year there hasn't been any crying etc because we have an awesome person working with Katya for the moment being and she goes off campus into the community. She is in the transition program which comes after high school.

Maybe anxiety is a personal trait? I am suffering more anxiety because of my workload and lack of sleep and I guess it comes with menopause as well. I feel overwhelmed at times but it happens more when there is more stress with the school. As I said, I like to keep my life quiet and simple and everything is fine and everybody is happy in our family.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:59 pm

DutchessMaria wrote:

Maybe anxiety is a personal trait? I am suffering more anxiety because of my workload and lack of sleep

I think excessive workload and lack of sleep is a practical guarantee of anxiety and feeling overwhelmed. Unfortunately, anxiety is usually correlated with above average intelligence and theorized to be an evolutionary survival trait, since survival in the jungle favored those on highest alert.

I do agree with James that technology has increased stress and anxiety because of the expectation of everyone being available for work issues and expectation of immediate turn around time etc.

What I am saying is that it is probably biological predisposition combined with situational factors that are naturally anxiety producing.

From the limited facts shared on Katya's situation, there is automatic stress that is probably unavoidable source of anxiety, and that in turn probably caused some secondary anxiety for your daughter, which is understandable. Sounds like your family has managed much better than most would. Resilience is another evolutionary survival trait.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Laura, I know it is the scientist (and lawyer) in you, but occasionally your posts make me think you're a bright, inquisitive robot exploring the world of human emotion.

What is bad about anxiety is that it feels like a state of being and eats you up, ruining or at least diminishing your quality of life. I think I would be worried if you said you were not feeling anxious at all, Maria.

Is there anything you can do you get more sleep? Do you have any chance of sleeping at all when Katya is gone during the day? Sleep deprivation alone will push you to the edge, and chronic sleep deprivation can really mess you up physically.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:15 am

That’s unfortunate if I come across that way on here, and I apologize if I do. I have worked very hard to try to prevent that feeling among the local public, including usually eliminating reference to my background since it is typically alienating  to my client base.

All I was saying is that anxiety is a mixed bag of situational and genetic factors.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm

I did not meant it as a criticism, just a joke. Personally I find it somewhat endearing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:02 pm

On a side note, does anyone have an opinion on the Bergdahl case? This is the deserter from the US Army, who was captured by the Taliban and then exchanged in a prisoner swap by Obama’s administration. Trump has also inserted himself into the fray by saying Bergdahl should have been killed.

He is going to be sentenced tomorrow. Personally, having served in Afghanistan, it s impossible for me to see any justification for his conduct, the complete disregard for the consequences for his unit are revolting, and he should do time. I don’t think life is appropriate however.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:51 pm

I would agree that the facts as reported in the media suggest his actions resulted in significant harm to other memebers of the military. However, without extensive knowledge of the facts, beyond what is reported on, it is hard to come to a reliable conclusion that would be objective and not based on an emotional response or bias. Trump certainly muddied the waters.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm

laurav wrote:I would agree that the facts as reported in the media suggest his actions resulted in significant harm to other memebers of the military. However, without extensive knowledge of the facts, beyond what is reported on, it is hard to come to a reliable conclusion that would be objective and not based on an emotional response or bias. Trump certainly muddied the waters.

I think it is possible to have reliable opinions on something of public importance without having it reduced to a proof positive.

That is my new pictorial response for you—Mantis, the alien with the ability to empathize with humans.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Hmmm, okay so how do I come across as less alien then? Is it being robotic to not feel comfortable making
a value judgment without enough uncontroverted evidence?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:46 pm

At a certain point avoiding forming a firm position on something feels like a perpetual cop out.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:26 am

I did in fairness take a very firm position on the refugee issues in Europe, including stating very specific things that should be done. The difference is I have extensively researched and collaborated with other researchers on that issue and therefore feel I have sufficient data to rely on.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Ok, so James, is Laura now being accused of the same as I am? Meaning, she is removing her emotions from the topic and being more analytical and observant about them rather than taking an immediate side?

In today's climate, I think it is a good thing to step back and not have an immediate opinion and looking at issues from different sides. By all means, we are being drowned by faux news.

As for Bergdahl, I find it difficult to judge what was really going on. What if he was suffering from PTSD and just wanted out?

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:03 pm

And I find it increasingly difficult to take a side these days. I see lunacy coming from both sides of the political spectrum.

The Bush speech on Trump without naming him is just another example how we manage to focus on the wrong things. The War criminal who marched this country to war under false pretenses is giving a lecture in morality towards the Bully in the White House. The Illusion of Opposites I call it.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Actually your posts tend to be fairly emotional, not the arguments, but your writing style. I am not accusing Laura of anything other than coming across as wooden at times. Humans are not rational creatures. They never have been. Never will. Trying to dissect emotion from something is impassible and denial worse.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:02 pm

I think the critique of emotionalism is more dangerous than one can realize. I am the first person to say that facts matter. Evidence maters. Arguments based off pure emotionalism are just not worth it.

But feeling anxiety, that’s being human and that is also an emotion but an emotion powerful enough to become an ontological state of being. Understanding is not just understanding the immediate facts and rationals. If I have a severed limb I can sit through a diagnosis but none of that changes the effect the psychological and physical pain is having, and no one knows how to quantify pain in objective terms.

If you want to stick purely to cold, hard reason, how would you like it if I suggested due to the severity of your daughter’s disability, you should devote your time and energy to your other children and minimal to her because the amount of energy you could put into your middle daughter results in gains that can never be comparable to the gains your other two children make.

Let me be clear, I feel like an absolute asshole even typing that and would never truly expect a parent to feel that way. But there you go, it requires emotional intelligence to understand what a strictly unemotional person would see as an irrational decision.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next