General Discussion and Updates

Page 27 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by laurav on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:10 pm

It is unfortunate that Steve evacuated to right around the area it could make landfall, and the storm surge will be far, far worse on that side of the coast than where he was. In other words, he was better off where he was. I don't know how he would get north at this point...best to hunker down and stay away from the water.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Well you get the new page award. I am sure, Dee, that your friends will be okay, as will Laura, at least in the sense that as long as everyone is being safe and using common sense, hurricanes are dangerous to property and can wreck havoc, but they will not be life threatening.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm

The drama queens are not counselors, they're our receptionists and they're not my staff so they're out of my jurisdiction. Two of them are younger and extremely immature/mentally ill, one is older and shady as fuck, and the other newest one is naive, gullible, and appears to be struggling with some deep-seated shit.

Laura you made the best decision possible and I'm sure ultimately you guys will be okay. My friend in Orlando is staying put, she made a great point that it's not so easy to up and leave like everyone thinks it is, many people don't have the means, some have nowhere to go, some don't want to leave their homes. Much like Hurricane Katrina, some people just can't leave.

I do hope that it dies down. On our side I'm getting more anxiety about a possible earthquake at some point especially with this 8.1 quake in Mexico. We of course sit on the ring of fire and we haven't had even a moderate earthquake in about two years so I'm wondering when another will come...seems like if the rest of the country is going to hell california can't be exempt for long

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Well you do have the wild fires Jae. Sad Has anyone checked the volcanos? We did have meteor showers last week. It's only in the lower 60s here when we're normally in the 80s and above. Summer went way too fast, temperature wise.

Seriously I hope we're done with these nature tantrums for a while but I doubt it.

Steve hasn't posted anything since this morning so I'm assuming he went further north, if he could get through the traffic. I understand that not everyone can leave. I know we could right now but it'd be financially straining. Next week, not so possible. My other FL friends aren't saying much either.
They're probably afraid of the overwhelming concern from us non-natives.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Well everyone I'll check in as I can. The Tampa Bay Area is now in the cross hairs. We are about a thirty minute drive outside of Tampa so this will be 'fun.' My husband's family is in Orlando and mine in Clearwater, and I am thinking Clearwater/St Pete is in for a ride being so close to the water. They are not as prepared there as they should be. Will be interesting to see if my Pinellas office (Clearwater/St Pete) gets flooded out.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 pm

Laura, I have followed the increasing westward trend.I am going to take the liberty of being our meteorologist, and note that this storm switched coasts, and now the west side of the state is expected to take the brunt of the storm. This means that the Miami area and South Florida lucked the hell out, but I am assuming that a whole new swath of people are now impacted. One of the things they drill into your head when dealing with these storms is that you always want to be on the left of a hurricane not the right. Laura, earlier you were telling me you had expected to be on the left, as it came up the east coast versus ending up basically in the eye//to a little right of the eye if it stays on path?

Where are your family at right now? I know they are long-term residents of the Tampa Bay area. Stay safe.

I remember Hurricane Allison in Texas well. It was a major catastrophic flooding event, and I experienced it again with Harvey, somewhat marveling at the odds.

Jae, I have often wondered about the California earthquake. It is something much like Japan that is a ticking time bomb. It would truly be apocalyptic if that happened.

Nature is vengeful and terrifying.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 pm

I have also wondered about California and the earthquake (agreed on Japan). I think a tsunami or volcano would be singularly terrifying.

My dad and stepmom did not want to leave to come to our house, so they are staying in their house in Clearwater, which is a few miles inland, so not right on the water, but I am most concerned about them. I think it could be really bad for them.

My sister actually lives close to me, about three miles away, and is shacking up in her house with her roommates. We are a few miles from county line between Hillsborough (Tampa) and Polk county--we're in Polk.

My brother and his wife are in NYC, and not affected.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Laura what is the situation there?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Wind has picked up, bands of rain but of course such weather is not unusual. There was a tornado about seven to ten miles northeast but that was it. Also, a band of Danes looting and pillaging in my neighborhood.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Here is introductory video I made for family. We are having gusts but nothing dramatic as you can see.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:48 pm

You look great Smile Glad it's not yet too bad.

Hi Zoe!

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 pm

My husband just left to evacuate a man with an amputed leg who is stranded in a trailer. Curfew is about to go in effect.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Wow. Bless them both. I read that trailer parks are under mandatory evacuation. Which makes sense.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:29 pm

I am cautiously optimistic at this point. It is weakening.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:28 pm

I was just watching CNN in Naples and Clearwater. Storm surge is pretty bad. Said Naples was getting 7-9 feet in the past hour or so and it's not leveling off yet. They said it's a Cat 2 now. Hoping it doesn't regain any strength and continues to blow itself out.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:38 pm

This is a significantly unedited video that is too long , but I don't have the time to edit it just yet. Anyway, if you skim through it (way too much of the same), you kind of see the beginning stages, and we were out there until it was no longer possible to handle the wind and rain. The wind when it comes is really harsh. Conditions have deteriorated quickly. I think we will lose power. any minute.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Get inside! That wind will pick you up and toss you like a twig. I'm glad it's been downgraded but that doesn't mean it's safe. It is STILL a hurricane and will knock you down. Storm surges seem to be one of the main concerns right now. TY for keeping us updated but please don't go out in it.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Yes, get the hell back inside along with your camerawoman.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:25 pm

We were being very careful, and went in as soon as wind started pushing us beyond our ability to resist.

So the newest forecast according to the local news is the West Polk County/ East Hillsborough are getting the eye wall. This Is good for Tampa Bay Area, since we are a smaller community up here in Polk.

Our fence is demolished. I have Zoe on a sleeping bag in hallway away from windows.

Transformers have been popping but for some reason we still have power.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 pm

I'm so glad you still have power.

Chromie spent the entire day in Twin Lake working on the car. Rather, his friend saw how hard it was for his old ass to get down and back up from the ground and the friend did 99% of it while Chromie watched, talked, munched and watched comedy central on his phone. His friend Jim is a pretty awesome person who doesn't seem to mind that Chromie only calls him when he needs something (a trait I do not like). But that's their relationship. The muffler still needs to be fully replaced. Another reason why mechanics HATE PT Cruisers - the muffler is welded to the frame. When a pipe comes loose, all of the welds give way and there's nowhere to put a hanger, which is how most vehicles are piped. I'm regretting getting this car more and more each day.

Other than that, I think I'm early to bed tonight. The colder weather is playing havoc with my joints. I know it's not below 60 but I don't do well with "under 80" temps. LOL AZ is looking more and more appealing. Still a bit hesitant with their dust tsunami's though. They look pretty scary.

Laura, I have no doubt that you and your family will be fine. The storm is lessening each hour, so hopefully when the other 1/2 of the storm hits, it'll be with less whippage. I'm sad you lost your fence. It was pretty nice looking. Smile You all remain in my prayers.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Climate change.....I have just been through this and am still dealing with it. Stay safe!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 pm

James, how are you guys recovering? Are the waters receding? Is FEMA stepping in and helping everyone equally?

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 am

I guess the only thing that sets earthquakes apart is there is no predictions or preparations. Can't spot it on a satellite a week before and get to safety...tornadoes are similar in nature, though you know they're coming you don't know when or where they'll drop.

Yeah thanks for the updates Laura but keep your ass inside already Smile

My friends lost power hours before the storm really hit, their transformer blew. Haven't heard from them since...

I had a relaxing weekend, did almost nothing but exercise, hang out in the pool, dinner with mom and watch Netflix. I still don't feel ready to go to work tomorrow. My boss recommended taking some time off, even a day, but it seems impossible for this coming week and next week too...

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:50 am

I am not sure what FEMA has been up to. Being in the less urban area, we get less attention but that is also understandable. School started back today, so three weeks later I believe. I started work last week. So normal is returning slowly but surely.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Jae, maybe you need a way to disconnect from the job mentally. Do you feel the pay justifies staying there?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top