General Discussion and Updates

Page 3 of 29 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by laurav on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:56 am

Jae wrote:
Couldn't get into Sense8...guess that makes me a bad gay...

Lol, that's hilarious. I found Season One although a compelling idea hard to get into. Season 2 was a lot better, although it still had the tendency to get too distracted in the sub threads. And, of course, after ending on a cliff hanger, it was canceled. Meh, I binge watch Netflix to cope with insomnia anyway, so my standards are not too high, but I'd recommend Beau Séjour.

James, the Orlando shooting did not have any direct affect on anyone I know. It's surreal how 'normal' the shootings have become, although the different treatment of "the white guy shootings" is hard to ignore, and can I just say for the record that is is doubly sad that we're so politicized in our national rhetoric that the color or race of the person who murders innocent people matters so much. Maybe we should impose a travel ban on men since men commit 99% of the mass shootings/ terrorist acts in our country? (of course that would still be a step up in the rationale thought chain from Trump land since he did not even select arguably rationale countries).

I'll have to review everything sometimes soon and get back to everyone. I'll also read your blog, Jae. I have to admit I am lazy and usually respond to the most recent post(s) on here when I log in before reading anything else.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:58 am

By the way, I'd like a gold star for bumping the thread to page 3...

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:57 am

laurav wrote:By the way, I'd like a gold star for bumping the thread to page 3...

Sorry there's no gold star, but have a gold heart I love you

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:05 am

Laughing I couldn't manage through the whole first season, but I definitely feel that with shows like this, much of their success is due to the fact that they have gay characters. The gay community is so desperate to see some basic reflection of themselves in mainstream programs, especially as main characters and not the quirky gay friend, that they attach to any show whether or not it's all that great. Deep in the community, there's almost a level of judgment for not getting behind these shows...it's weird. I stay away from crazy gays.

What is Beau Sejour about?

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:13 pm

I have to admit my heart is heavy these days. There seems to be so much hate in this world, and so many people who are mentally unstable to the point they are harmful to others that run rampant throughout our society.

It's hard for me to even get my head around how people get to the point where they are killing themselves and others. Is it extreme isolation and ideology exacerbating underlying mental conditions? I don't know the answer, but I feel like we have become a sick society.

I liked Sense8 because it promoted a view of life as interconnected and dependent on other people, and not just people within our immediate societal bubble.

It was overdone, however, and they pushed the transgender and gay themes to much, and just like other social issues, it became too much of a soapbox.

I find it weird that we live in a 'love-obsessed' and 'sex-obsessed' entertainment industry but do not promote a more expansive view of love. Instead, we limit the idea of love and put it in a box. I guess, Jae, that related to what you were saying about the bandwagon mentality in the gay community, which I think is applicable to other communities. Why do we have to contain and limit movements just like we try to contain and put in a box 'grief'--everyone always talks about closure like it is a real end point--and like I said we box in 'love.'

What does 'love' even mean anymore?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Jae, that was a scary blog post, and very well written.

So basically, are you saying that the therapists go above and beyond, but the private insurance companies rake in dollars, and there is no acknowledgment of the sacrifice by one group and the power-driven greed of the big companies?

How many therapists burn out?

You mention it is hard to get funding as it is? Why have we privatized health insurance? I am one of the few lucky ones because I have the VA hospital(although that also has issues), but the idea that mental health services are that depersonalized, and that someone in a severe crisis has to navigate complex red tape at the same time to get treatment--is there any wonder that people are shooting nightclubs and businesses and running trucks through crowds of people (like Times Square).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Dee, where are you? Are you doing okay?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm around. Just tired. Chromie's nephew has been coming over from the time I wake up until we take him to where ever he's spending that night. Yesterday I got my new LG V20 phone in the mail (I got a great deal on swappa) and ended up going a mile down to a store to get a power cord for it to find they had none that would fit. So I ended up paying too much at Walgreens for one. Then found the phone didn't have a SIM card, so I had to take the phone to Sprint to have it switched over. They couldn't find a SIM card that'd work and ended up taking one out of a new phone for me. LOL Luckily they're friends of my son and always take great care of me. They were kind of entertained since every time I go in there someone has to be trained on something or another. I'm unique! ! LOL

Just realized my shingles broke out again. I don't get them like my bf does but I get a few blisters on my hand, it pops, hurts and itches for a few days then goes away. Imuno compromised is a bitch. Sad

Just really sleepy today so much that I'm going for a nap. I wanted to make dinner but he's still waking up and won't go shopping until afterward.

Glad to see you all posting. Hoping Maria joins us soon.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm going to try and circle back tonight, but I have some stuff to draft and am likely to procrastinate if I don't get it done first.

However, Dee, I had a suggestion, which should in no way or form be considered representations of medical advice etc. etc. But have you talked to your doctor about Gabapentin which goes by the generic neurontin?

It is a great drug for Postherpetic neuralgia and is approved for the treatment of "shingles" and has some off label benefits. SWIM would suggest between 900mg and 1200mg a day, although larger doses might be effective depending on your tolerance level.

It's a very interesting drug for a number of reasons. SWIM's dog thinks that it can be particularly effective at adding an energy boost and moderating anxiety without affecting cognitive function. Also provides relief for a wide variety of nerve pain, although there is an adjustment period when a patient begins taking it (initially makes many sleepy).

A lot of doctors still rely on tricyclic antidepressants, which SWIM's cat believes to have dubious benefit.

Just a thought.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Wow, we're using  "SWIM", We've finally become a real internet forum! Thank you SWIM's cat and dog for participating in our forum. I guess we needed some new members to make up for MIA Maria, Reem, and Abdul, although I was hoping for members more along the homo sapien variety.

Dee, sorry to hear that. Can you refresh my memory on the situation with Chromie's nephew? Is he an unwelcome guest?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:13 pm

What kind of work do you do in law, Laura? I have not kept up very much at all with things.

By way of brief update, I have messaged Harvey on Google Plus. Not sure if I mentioned that as well as Abdul. Honestly, it could be years if they ever look at their channel. I remember your mentioning, Jae, back at the end of the last Forum that it is unrealistic to assume we'd all remain friends until our ends of days. But you never know, maybe they'll come back.

Don't know if anyone watches CNN, but looks like the Trump clown car is collapsing more each day. That thing about Jeff Sessions offering to quit suggests it is 100% toxic environment. Compare the amount of drama to Obama's first 180 days?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

SWIM SWAM SWUM

Post by laurav on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:41 am

Admin wrote:Wow, we're using  "SWIM", We've finally become a real internet forum! Thank you SWIM's cat and dog for participating in our forum.

SWIM's Goldfish says "you're welcome."

Jae, I liked your blogpost as well. I actually started reading the marijuana entry and want to go back to finish that, as it is relevant and very interesting take. Do you get subpoenaed into court very much? Beau Séjour is a Belgium/Flemish language show where a girl basically wakes up after her murder in some sort of parallel universe and can only be actually seen by a small group of people in her local community. It is fairly intense.

James, I have avoided/ dodged telling you the main area of law I practice in because I doubt you'll be a fan. I do some general civil and some criminal defense (used to do a lot of criminal defense, but when my former partner and I split, the criminal side largely went with him, and I have not had a strong desire to rekindle that practice area). In new York, I have some transactional cases, which allows me to avoid being in the state unless I have to. Anyway....the bulk of my cases are family law which encompasses a fairly wide range of cases coming under the domestic relations division. There's a long story behind how it turned out that way not really relevant to anything we're discussing.

What kind of accounting stuff are you doing these days?

I did mean to clarify also in regards to your post about Jae and I making contributions to society, that in fairness, Jae's work is but mine really isn't a lot of the time (at least not in the ways you were referring to), so I don't want to take credit for that.

There is an aspect of American society that I cannot get my head around when it comes to healthcare, which is why we hang onto this model of employer-sponsored plans. This is one area where I 100% back Sanders on, and throughout all the debate about the ACA, I have never understood why the simplest solution is not adopted. As I recall from Health Insurance in law school, the history behind employer-based health insurance was an accident of World War II when the federal government tried to control wages and inflation. I can't remember the exact story, but it was something along those lines, and people prior were paying directly to providers or through Blue Cross which was some type of earliest HMO in the United States.

In regards to Trump--guess my previous post sums it up. I am curious as to what the solution is in Syria. I'll take the controversial stance that moderate interventionism is necessary in democratic governments. There is, of course, the argument that the US started the Syrian war through destabilization in Iraq. I think the inference chain is too speculative and attenuated. But either way, that ship has sailed, so what is the actual solution? If there (which is likely) are no moderate rebels left, do we just continue to sit back and let the Russians and Assad commit genocide on Syrians civilians? Is that a morally acceptable choice?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 am

I do accounting for a large military contractor. It's a lot of delicate audits and accounting for our company in relation to our clients. A lot of it is classified, although it is nothing too fascinating.

Okay I do recall making some derogatory comments about family law, but I no longer think that's fair. It was immature since there is a clear need for such attorneys, and I imagine it can be a difficult job.

So the Syria question is now in the plate as well as general question of whether interventionism in sovereign nations is ever appropriate?  I'd weigh in but I don't want to push my opinions without hearing from Dee and Jae.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Laura, ty for the suggestion. I took gabapentin years ago. I didn't like the way it made me feel. And the dangers associated with it - well, let's just say I like my kidneys functioning. Instead of making me clear headed it made me very dopey and slow. My swings aren't horribly extreme if I stick to a sleep schedule and eat properly .. which I haven't been doing - sleep wise, anyway. I've been gravitating toward a basic chicken and rice dish that simple and healthy. I make it from scratch. The only vegetables not fresh are the peas and corn. It's a little like chicken fried rice without the fried. I really need to stop drinking pop again though. It's SO HARD to give it up.

Perhaps I'm oblivious, but what's SWIM and what do a dog and cat have to do with it? LOL

I'm one who thinks the USA needs to remove it's fingers from all of the world's pies and focus on the slices here at home. We're not the world police, although 45 thinks he rules everything. He doesn't look at other nations as partners but as subordinates. I do hope that Germany becomes the "leader of the free world" - it's time for another country to wear the mantle since ours elected a tantrum throwing 2 yr old in a 70-ish meat suit.

I really do think the electoral college has to go but like I said earlier, I believe that would take a constitutional congress and there hasn't been one since the first. I would NOT want it to happen under this administration!

America's "nation building" has to stop. It has ruined too many sovereign nations as well as killed way too many people. It's about resources, no one needs to be coy about it. It's always been about resources. The only time we should intervene is if we're invited. And then act like the guest we'd be. How would we feel if France (or any other nation) decided that our system just wasn't working and brought their military to "fix it"? Russia, Iran, China all have very large militaries; as do Egypt, Saudi and some other nations.

At this point we need to remove ourselves from all of these conflicts and sit quietly while the countries balance themselves out. It's NOT our business. Yes, there are extremists who need to be removed; but isn't that the business of the nation in which they're residing? Daesh is a splintered group of extremists who hold a horrendous ideology that bears no resemblance to the faith I love. I really don't have a solution on how to get rid of them other than each country needs to make wiping them out a priority and allow NATO and the UN more power in coordinating. It has to be a group effort among the nations effected.

I'm have a lot of admiration for all 3 of you for the lives you lead. When I worked I was a secretary. A very good one, yet never went above that. I went to college, earned an AA and a BA and went back later for my QA certification but couldn't shake the mantle of "secretary". Then I got ill.... I'm in my 50s now so there's probably no going back, not that my health will let me.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42 am

Crap I miss one day and there's so much to cover!

Thanks for reading my blog guys. James the main point is that the therapists in socialized mental health care go above and beyond to provide the quality of care all people deserve, whereas the private insurance therapists, who still work their butts off, do not do as much as we do, mainly because of the constraints placed on them by insurance companies. They are overloaded with cases and very time limited so the quality of care suffers, and yes, private insurance rakes in the money. Socialized mental health directs the majority of our funding to our clients.

Burn out is a huge thing, we stress self-care as much as we can, but socialized mental health has its own issues, like I mentioned in the blog, jumping through hoops to please the state and county who provide our funding. And much smaller compensation because our funding goes to clients, not our paychecks.

I have never been subpoenaed, we rarely are, but the prospect terrifies us all. Dealing with children, subpoenas usually involve custody battles and divorces, which we're not qualified to provide any decision on anyways. Laura, when you guys pass the bar, is that nation-wide or do you have to pass the exam for each state that you work in?

I believe that if we lift the confines of our professional titles, we all live aspects of our lives where we are leaving a positive impact, I do this during the business day, other people do it on their weekends, in their free time. We all make our contributions to this world and society.

I second Dee...what is SWIM? Dee I hope you're feeling better, I know these ailments get to you so much, you deserve some peace from them!

I just reviewed some posts with the election tomorrow in the UK and the possibility that they will be introducing privatized healthcare as an alternative to the NHS they have there, and I can only see that going downhill as the rich opt for higher quality private care and the poor get stuck with their own version of medicaid...we need to socialize, but the private insurances have become so powerful it will never happen. At least ACA provided some relief to millions of people, I am fearful that eventually Trumpcare will pass.

As for Syria, I was one screaming that we should be doing more there for quite some time, incensed by the images of the innocent civilians there. But I was not well educated on the implications of doing such until Trump finally attempted that bullshit airstrike. I realize now how delicate that situation can be even with the best intentions of helping people who need it most. Now I do not think it is our role to resolve the world's issues, especially with invasions or military strikes, but I still believe we need to do our part to try and mediate some of these peace agreements when possible and appropriate, and to provide secure safe passage to any refugees attempting to flee the conditions of their nations. To block them from traveling, to trip them and shoot at them as they cross into safer borders, to abuse and neglect them in pathetic excuses for refugee camps is so far below us it makes us almost inhumane.

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:24 am

Heh, SWIM is a common acronym in internet forums, especially on Reddit and related forums, and means Someone Who Is Not Me. I was being highly facetious because it is used in an effort to avoid taking liability for something stated on the internet (SWIM found a dead hooker in his trunk today). It became such a joke that people started posting "SWIMS's grandma found a dead hooker in her trunk today/ SWIM's dog downloaded illegal music). Fortunately, it looks like only James and I have wasted that much time on the internet.

Jae wrote:.Laura, when you guys pass the bar, is that nation-wide or do you have to pass the exam for each state that you work in?=

It is state by state and usually requires a bar exam and character and fitness application (although many states will wave the bar exam if an attorney has five years experience and passes the character and fitness application).

This brings up a very sore subject for me and I am now going to proceed to rant and rant about it.

After passing the bar in Florida, I lost all the job offers extended because I could not clear the character and fitness and be admitted to practice law in Florida. I almost gave up and decided to remain in NY despite my original intention to return to FL after graduation.

Conversely, in NY after passing the bar exam, I cleared my character and fitness application with no problem and was fully admitted within a few weeks of passing the bar at the same time all this crud with FL was going on. Why two totally different results with the same set of facts? NY interprets the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) as prohibiting discrimination or inquiry into mental health and drug and alcohol treatment unless linked to actual serious misconduct or criminal arrests.

I am in no way minimizing the seriousness of it and take full responsibility for my exceptionally bad decisions back then, which are no one's fault but my own. I understand the desire to protect the public from an addicted lawyer, but it has always seemed excessive.

Because I was required to disclose a rehab and hospitalization for overdose on my application, I got a major red flag on my file. Hence why I am defending clients for raping illegal immigrants and doing divorces all day long.

I have been clean since I was 24, but I am on probation until May 2019.....so I have to remit $$ every month to the FL Bar and get a random blood (PETH//drug panel) screen every month, which I have been doing since 2012 and have been negative every single time. So every day I have to check in and if selected find a lab somewhere etc. It is a huge hassle.

What's weird about it is that it basically suggests that people will not seek mental health or addiction treatment to avoid getting in the FL Bar's cross hairs. Maybe it is just me, but it does not make any sense.

I do apologize for the off topic rant, but it really, really irks me. I'll return to the more pressing issues discussed tomorrow (today).

BTW, I feel for you, Dee, with the discouragement. I don't use the word 'secretary', but in all seriousness, I would not be able to run my firm without my legal assistant/administrative assistant. It is an incredibly difficult job to be an administrative assistant because of the attention to detail, organization, and general people skills and flexibility required. I am sure you were really good!

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 am

So I am still scratching my head on this bar admission process. So much so that I did a google search and came across some general articles out it.

I guess as a starting point, I find it a little--a lot--overblown. Not to discredit lawyers, but it sounds like these organizations have an over-blown sense of what lawyers actually do. A drunk surgeon or a drunk pilot could be terrifying and kill someone.

A drunk lawyer to me would be more likely to be flagged by judges or his clients and get kicked off a case. Unless a drunk lawyer is practicing for years and years and somehow doing damage to the public without getting caught, only then would it be a danger, and I see that as a fairly far-fetched or isolated scenario.

I am also scratching my head because I don't see how the positive step of going to rehab becomes a black mark unless you don't want people to go to rehab.

Jae you're the therapist. What's your professional take. Should treatment be disclosed to balance concern of someone going off the rails? Is that likely to discourage treatment?

Also with so many jobs requiring specialization in our changing economy, how do you draw the line. If I decided to come to work high or drunk, I could probably inflict some damage on the company. Does that mean they they should monitor and screen any potential employees with a history?

Anyway, I wanted to get other people's thoughts versus just jumping on my soapbox. I never really knew about the ADA but I did find this when I googled "bar admissions and ADA"

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/doj_says_bar_officials_violated_ada_by_asking_applicants_too_much_about_the

Dee if the US were killing its own people would you want France to intervene?

Jae, sounds like you're saying there is a basic humanitarian justification for interventionism. Something I think Laura was saying as well?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm

TY all for your well wishes. Today, so far, is a better day. I really hate going to the Dr. Considering I have to go to a clinic, not a single provider, it makes it more demeaning. The lack of adequate care is also a problem. I go in, they try to write meds (most of which I refuse), tell me to lose weight (since that's the cure all for all of my ailments, according to them) and send me on my way with a $90 charge to medicare. Nice racket IMO. Our system doesn't work. Medicare/Medicaid payouts are so low that most physicians here won't accept new patients who have it unless we've chosen a plan that pays out high. I will keep trying to find a real doctor though. I'm stubborn that way.

James, if the US were killing it's own people? Isn't it already? Via low access to quality medical care; repeated denials to those applying for disability; the proposed cuts in funding for research and treatment of diseases; the lowering of access to SNAP and Medicare? Isn't that a form of murdering it's citizens?

How about leaving the poor male the ONLY route to get ahead is to jeopardize their lives by joining the military to fight in wars we have no business being in?

I know, that's quite facetious. I do however feel that the US has been killing it's citizens for decades via one program or a heap of them and it's usually poor minority males who get the brunt of it.

Would I want an outside nation to intervene? If the US were literally lining us up and murdering it's citizens, yes. I believe even the UN has raised issue with policing and the over reach toward minorities. Yes, there are bad actors in all parts of society. As the daughter of a cop who gave 25 years to serving and protecting it rips my heart out when I see a bad actor behind the badge. There need to be more options for the good cops to out the bad ones. The "thin blue line" isn't so thin and the repercussions of turning in a bad cop ends careers of good ones. Something a lot of people don't know is that most cops don't pay into SSA, their "retirement" is usually a pension plan. When those are mismanaged cops and their families go without. My father had to take extra jobs until his health made that impossible. He still hold some duties at the local fire company but between his pain and vertigo his quality of life had diminished horribly. We don't speak but I do care and keep up on him through my sister and mom.

I wouldn't LIKE that another country felt the need to intervene with military force, but if it was to make life better and remove the scourge of a totalitarian regime, I'd have to accept it and pray for the best.

Laura, I am horrified by what they're putting you through! What kind of justice penalizes a person for seeking help?! Like James voiced, what are they afraid of? Bad counsel? There are a handful of attorneys here in Muskegon who are known for their bad skills and still keep a shingle flying. One was caught openly using and selling cocaine. His credentials were stripped but he still works in a law firm as an assistant. He went through rehab a number of times but as we all know, some addicts don't succeed in sobriety. I look at that and then read what you wrote and am aghast that you've been so harshly penalized. I don't feel that's fair at all.

James the ADA handles a lot of issues that people like myself, with disabilities, must fight for all of the time. There are a lot of wheelchair users here in my city but few accommodations are made for us to get around. The streets that had sidewalks often didn't have proper cutouts for chairs. After the local disability counsel got some teeth, most of our sidewalks have been repaired and properly ramped cutouts have been, or are being, installed. Sadly our only access to transportation is self-transport or the bus. Each bus only has two wc slots. OR we can call the transit authority and reserve a time for transportation to where ever it is (within their service area) that we wish to go. It's getting home that's the problem. They overbook. I spent 4 hours on a bus one day to get home. I was 3/4 of a mile from home but the driver/scheduler didn't see the wisdom of dropping me off. Better believe they got some harshness from me.

As for care, I don't have a therapist. The ones at the clinic I attend aren't highly certified/trained. Each one of the ones I've seen have "moved on" to other private practice or are now too highly credentialed for Medicare to allow me to see. That's right, they have too much training. It's really sad because I was making good progress with that one and the one who took over for him. But that one took a job elsewhere. From what friends have told me, he's moved on from there also. I was blessed that the "good ones" were really good and gave me tools to deal with most of my issues. When they don't work I go into a depression but eventually work out of it. With the stability of my relationship now I've made strides into healing that I hadn't experienced before. It's refreshing to allow the memories to happen and not be scared that I can't handle them. I still have blank spots in my memory from certain periods of time but those were really bad times and I don't expect to regain all of it.

The good stuff would be nice to get back though. Especially a memory of the relationships from High School that were good. I've reunited with many from HS but truly don't recall how good of friends we were. I was honest with one of them, explaining the trauma related memory loss and was amazed at her compassion and support.

Laura, thanks for the kudos. I used all of the titles over the length of my career. Secretary, Administrative Assistant, Assistant to the GM and even just clerk. It's a profession that has little support within it's ranks. We have no union. No association. No skills support and definitely no certifications. I used temp agencies as much as they used me. I'd take advantage of their skills building self-trainings and would take just about any position they offered me. I had a good run. I worked for physicians, attorneys, banking, manufacturing; small companies to large ones like Subaru. I had a good run. It's good to hear you value your assistants. The more we feel valued the more support we give.

Wishing you all an excellent day ... Ella's aide just got here. She brought my cat Kyra some turkey feathers. I have never seen her react like this. It's hilarious! Porch kitty is now answering to Gingy. It's allowing me to pet it and giving me hell when I'm late with food. LOL I will be attempting to check out it's paw in the next few days - IF it lets me. I haven't tried picking it up yet but it's accepting of my touch, so we'll see.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Dee S wrote:
James the ADA handles a lot of issues that people like myself, with disabilities, must fight for all of the time. There are a lot of wheelchair users here in my city but few accommodations are made for us to get around. The streets that had sidewalks often didn't have proper cutouts for chairs. After the local disability counsel got some teeth, most of our sidewalks have been repaired and properly ramped cutouts have been, or are being, installed. Sadly our only access to transportation is self-transport or the bus. Each bus only has two wc slots. OR we can call the transit authority and reserve a time for transportation to where ever it is (within their service area) that we wish to go. It's getting home that's the problem. They overbook. I spent 4 hours on a bus one day to get home. I was 3/4 of a mile from home but the driver/scheduler didn't see the wisdom of dropping me off. Better believe they got some harshness from me.

Yeah, I am officially confused by the insurgence of the ADA onto our thread because I'm vaguely aware that HR has to be careful on certain issues or they can get sued (or maybe I am thinking of Worker's Comp...hell, I was out of the country for ten years what do I do know). I am going to be searching Google for answers shortly, lol.

Dee, are you indicating that therapy is basically not an option for people in your position? Do you think that contributes to the shootings (and let's note that there were two this week alone). I don't mean you going on a shooting spree, but would people be less likely to harm themselves and others if they had access to therapy?

What is considered a disability for purposes of the ADA? I would assume someone in a wheelchair or with a severe mental impairment would fall under that rubric? But sounds like lawyers can also be disabled if they have history of drug or alcohol addiction? So is it likelihood of facing discrimination that gives rise to the protections?

Jae, since you're our licensed shrink, which we badly need on here, do you believe Laura's statement, and Dee and I's follow up, would support the assertion that people, especially in professional fields, would be less likely to pursue treatment if they had to report it. Can agencies like the Bar force you to turn over private information regarding treatment?

I agree Dee regarding the healthcare. I believe that was one of Laura's points in the lengthy thread a week or so ago? (correct me if I'm wrong).

I also agree regarding interventionism being appropriate in a very limited set of circumstances.  The war in Syria may have been one. It s heartbreaking what has happened to the middle east. I was kind of getting the sense watching some news interviews that King Abdullah II of Jordan was chaffing at the bit to join US forces and invade at one point.

I feel like NATO is a joke anymore. Would they do anything to intervene if the US was not spearheading it?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm going to shower and make some dinner and come back to the discussion but am I the only one with this new obnoxious look on the forum? who put this wiccan advert crap here?

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Laura did this as a joke. I have to figure out how she did it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Good help is so hard to find these days.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:50 am

To answer the question regarding disclosures and treatment history, I think it can be very tricky to determine when it is appropriate to require disclosure and how much that disclosure should impact your employment. I agree with what you said regarding the limits of impairment, I think that history of treatment should only be disclosed if it is directly related to your field of work and endangers your ability to do your job effectively and safely (i.e. disclosing a history of alcoholism that resulted in DUIs when you're a bus driver, or disclosing prescription medication abuse when you're a prescribing physician), but these are things that are typically kept on record on your driving and practitioner's licenses anyways. I think many other factors have to be taken into consideration as well, including how much time has passed since one completed treatment, was that treatment completed successfully, were there significant relapses and how long ago did they occur?

I don't think a history of treatment should be disclosed for lawyers, and I agree that NY has it right on the money with it being a discrimination situation. In CA as well, any type of substance abuse is considered a mental health issue and therefore is protected under the ADA as well as the state's Fair Employment and Housing Association.

Ironically a history of substance use and successful treatment is practically required for drug and alcohol counselors in California (I actually saw a job for a D&A therapist I was going to apply for that stated being in recovery was a must for the position)...the only time substance abuse becomes a concern is if you are actively using while treating clients, or if you are charged with a DUI (this results in suspension of our practitioner's license on the first offense and total revocation on the second).

Do I think this policy would prevent people from seeking treatment, no, do I think it would prevent people from disclosing this treatment, absolutely. I wonder how much background check the bar can actually conduct when D&A treatment is protected by private health information laws?

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Admin wrote:Dee, are you indicating that therapy is basically not an option for people in your position? Do you think that contributes to the shootings (and let's note that there were two this week alone). I don't mean you going on a shooting spree, but would people be less likely to harm themselves and others if they had access to therapy?

What is considered a disability for purposes of the ADA? I would assume someone in a wheelchair or with a severe mental impairment would fall under that rubric? But sounds like lawyers can also be disabled if they have history of drug or alcohol addiction? So is it likelihood of facing discrimination that gives rise to the protections?

Personally I believe there would be less violence if mental health care was more available. Look at our world. It's one trauma after another after another. I once said I didn't want to be desensitized. I now wish I were. Hopefully the stigma attached to having mental illness will continue to lessen and more will be able to get the care they need to have better lives.

When Reagan opened up the mental institutions and basically kicked many people to the curb he started a wave of homeless with mental illness. They weren't great, by far, but they were treatment.

I'm not sure what you mean by what's considered a disability for the ADA. This link might help answer that.
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/cms_011495.aspx

The article stipulates that it often takes an outside source to help a business determine if they are ADA compliant or not due to the depth of the issue. Take obesity. Of itself, it's not considered disabling. Then consider morbid obesity. It is considered disabling due to the complications it can cause. Lymphodema is one common issue we deal with being morbidly obese. Sleep disorders are common due to breathing issues from the additional weight on the body. Some enter into adult onset diabetes, most of us have eating disorders and then there's the mental side of it all.

I think it's the likelihood of facing law suits is what drives most to be compliant. LOL Have you ever met a pissed off disabled person who can't get to where they need to go because an engineer didn't design the grade on a ramp properly? Or just left it out. I can't tell you the number of curbs I've jumped in my wc. ADA is wide reaching and not just for employability but for day to day living and accessibility.

Well, even after editing, this has become a rambling novel again. I need to go address the bug bites and sunburn from yesterday. The price I'm paying for getting out and about. I had fun but all fun comes with a price. LOL ttfn

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Admin wrote:Laura did this as a joke. I have to figure out how she did it.
If it helps, I don't see any ads. I use AdBlockPlus. Very Happy Removes all ads and can be used on all browsers (not sure about Edge).

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 29 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top