General Discussion and Updates

Page 42 of 43 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by Dee S on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:03 pm

Happy birthday to Zoe Smile

James, so horrible! Child labor laws...blahblahblahblah... Wink

So glad you're giving him instruction and experience on something that will last with him throughout his life. I'll guess that's it's great father/son time.

My dad's thing was cars. I knew the basics of engines long before I could sit behind the wheel, much less drive one. A lot of my young years were spent in various garages. Mostly in the office but I'd wander into the garage, get scolded or shown something greasy that'd inevitably get on my clothes and mom would get pissed at dad. LOL I was never allowed to touch nor really shown how to do anything other than change tires, check my fluids and tighten hoses. But I knew what went where and if anyone offered me blinker fluid I'd blink their eye. Wink I guess I knew enough to know when a mechanic wasn't being honest.

So I have a question of how to tackle this, if I say anything at all. Becca (Ella's great grandson's wife) was supposed to come over on Monday to do Ella's hair. They just moved back to town and had promised to spend more time with her. She got busy with her dad (he's recovering from a stroke) and forgot. Said she'd be here today at 3. Ella called and she was called into work. Didn't call. Didn't apologize. Just said she'll figure out when when she gets her schedule. She works as an ass't Manager at a local McDonalds. The one closest to us, actually.

This isn't the first time they've blown her off like this. Nor the first time they've failed to show and not called to explain. I'm pissed. I love them both dearly but their treatment of Ella isn't right.

Now i have to say that they're the ONLY ONES in Ella's family that shows her any interest or gives her any time. Do I say something? I understand that she's just started a new/old job (she had this position before at this store). I don't want to alienate them but I also don't like seeing Ella cry. And this one made her cry.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Here is the problem I see, Dee. They’re not obligated to spend time with her (even if morally they should). So if you come on too strong, it will just push them away. Maybe if you could explain to them how important it is to Ella and how devastating not showing up/giving notice is, that would help them appreciate it? They may not understand the impact that it has on her.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you. That's the input I needed. You're right.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Glad I could be of some help. Normally I just blurt out totally unhelpful things.

Something weird, does anyone remember way back in 2008 I believe the YT controversy where a fellow post grad Oxford student and lawyer who knew Laura got into a huge debacle of an onslaught on Laura?

I honestly barely remember what it was all about but know that Harvey was at center, and I think that was the first time Laura and Maria formed an alliance.

Anyway, she’s become famous enough to have her own Wikipedia entry, which I stumbled on today after seeing her book online.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Darville

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm

I recall it well enough. The video she did stung. However, I talked to her back in 2011/2012 after the Forum died. She apologized. Said she did it out of boredom and curiosity, for shock value, and then it went too far. That seems to be her modus operandi based on her wiki entry. I’m sure the book controversy got started the same way—she did it for shock value, and it went too far. She’s a fairly brilliant person in many ways. Definitely an independent thinker. But I don’t know how I feel about her....but at least she’s made her mark in the world.

I am starting to think having a ridiculously over inflated ego and Teflon coat is the way to be happy in life.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Meh, I don’t think those people are really happy. Brilliant. Yes. But it takes more than brains and ego to be happy.

I agree as regards YT. I think it was an experiment. She wanted to see how far she could push the envelope. She enjoyed sucking Harvey in and then flipping on him. Manipulation and games. That’s one of the reasons I don’t care for social media platforms anymore. I’m over it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:40 pm

By the way, thanks for the birthday wishes to Zoe, James and Dee. She had a good birthday. We kept it a little low key due to all the chaos this fall, but she had a lot of fun.

I agree with James, Dee. The difficulty unfortunately with elderly people is in getting the younger relatives to understand the greater importance and significance of the visits and contact from family. It's sad really. Very sad. I feel sometimes that American culture is exceptionally bad about treatment of grand-parents (and by effect great-grandparents).

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Beautiful picture Smile

I see what you're both saying about the aging and will approach it with some tact. Or just leave Ella to run with it. She has a way about her that Becca and Cam will know they've hurt her.

We went out for a frustrating poketrolling last night. We have a new couple of friends who go with us. After an hour we were all very frustrated at the aggressiveness and boldness of those following us. The one guy pulls up, says "Hi, I'm t-money we talked in the chat the other night" then proceeds to tear into the gym we just took. He'd already throw us out of two other gyms we'd just taken. Hmm like he was following us. Ends up, he was. His "fun" was retaking every gym we took within 1/2 hour. I'm a little burned out with the whole gym thing and think I'll just focus on growing my characters for a while.

So what's up with you ?
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Love the pic, Laura. Enjoy those times while they last, and it is hard with little kids because that is inevitably usually the busiest, most uncertain times of parenting...

This game sounds incredibly involved, Dee! It also seems very diverting.

I'm burned out. I think I need a three day weekend or something to catch up on sleep. I'm starting to really "feel" over extended and exhausted all the time.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Is it possible to be anymore disappointed and disillusioned with our country than now?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:18 pm

With the latest, unbelievably insane, allegations regarding Weinstein (and Kevin Spacey ruining House of Cards and all his movies forever), I came across this video between a man and woman with very different views on catcalling....

http://mashable.com/2014/11/15/catcalling-debate/#I.8TSi7vFgqy

Thoughts? I know in Jordan, for example, where my wife is from, younger women generally will never make eye contact with a man and avoid walking alone on the streets as much as possible. But this phenomen exists certainly everywhere. Yet ‘Paul’ argues a lot of it is not actually harassment, which seemed to be his main concern.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Usually, at least a couple times a month I get cat calling while going about my daily life. And it is far more than just 'god bless.' I think most women have similar experiences. I had to stop my morning jogging route in law school because of it. And I tried and tried to not have to do that but it was just not feasible. So men basically push women out of public spaces.

I think Paul is engaging in minimizing behavior and refusing to acknowledge how public space is experienced differently by men and women.

That being said plenty of men do not engage in that behavior nor am I equating the (usually older) guy who says something more innocuous with the guy yelling obscenities. But it should be feasible to go about one's normal routine without these invasions into personal space (not to even get to power and control and objectifying issues).

I am about to the point where I am going to really tell the next idiot guy to fuck off in very graphic terms.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:46 am

That is a good summation, Laura. I agree.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Hate to break up the excitement and riotous fun on here, but i’ll be in das Mutterland through next week. I’ll probably still be around though when I can.

Good night James, John Boy, Elizabeth, Mary Ellen....

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:46 am

Have a safe trip. Take pictures. Make memories. Smile <3
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 am

Safe travels. Dee and I will try to contain this hive of activity.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Chromie. Thanks for joining.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:07 pm

He's a quiet one, until he isn't. Wink

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Dee S wrote:He's a quiet one, until he isn't. Wink

He’ll fit right in then.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm

How’s everyone’s weekend been so far? Another pointless veteran’s day here. I hate even caring or hearing about it anymore. People all seem to have stereotypes and expectations—war stories you don’t want to tell; the wife abusing, alcoholic; PTSD sufferer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:52 pm

We've lost the JOY in life.

There is so much to be had.

But we have somehow relegated it to the unimportant things.

Sad panda here. Too cold outside. Staying in but I want lasagna. Hoping he'll go get one when he wakes up from his nap. I realllllyyyy want lasagna.

My daughter was at work Thursday night. She works at ACEMCO, an automotive parts manufacturer. Well - they had a fire. No fire alarms. No suppressant system. A filter on a welder caught fire. IT is next to the PILE of dies. Each die is worth no less than $40K. She and another worker got everyone out using the PA system and their voices. Fire company was called. Fire put out, twice. And they went back to work. She worked overtime last night. . . . she and her coworkers complained about "sore throats" today. I wonder whyyyyyy .. Sad I hate irresponsible business owners.

The fire supression system is "being installed" .. it's just not "done yet". I have a feeling the person/people (most likely one person) are getting not-so-gently prodded to get it done ASAP. Knowing the inspectors in this area, they're all over that shop now as well as MIOSHA.

Only the operator was hurt because he tried to get to the filter and put it out before it ignited ... probably old rags they keep by the welder that are drenched .. in oil.
sigh .. I can't make this shit up.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:44 am

There was a thing in NPR on On Point within last twelve months or so about injuries in automotive factories in US. People would get caught in the machines, and no one even knew how to disable the machines.

Thank goodness she is okay.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:11 pm

They have guards and laser stops as well as chain maille type fences to keep hands out. They're SUPPOSED to block up the die if they put body parts in there but don't always do that so people lose fingers and limbs. And lives sometimes. It's quantity quantity quantity and rework afterward as long as it's within the spec range.

3rd shift is the most dangerous one, which is the shift she works. They have the least oversight. Least access to management and often run pretty autonomously. Until something catches fire, smashes or is a costly breakage. Then changes happen, for a while.

I thank God she and her coworkers are OK but know it's a dangerous place to work. I worked in a similar shop for 3.5 years but as liaison between the office and floor. I had a rare perspective that not many in the office had. I wasn't management so they were pretty open and welcoming of my "intrusions".
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 am

That is horrible, Dee. And the problem is that those jobs are actually the better paying ones relatively speaking. I need to find that NPR broadcast on safety issues at automotive plants in America. It is troubling.

Where is everyone?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

I am stranded at Schipol airport with Zoe. Flight to Philly got delayed and then cancelled--supposedly due to "fog." I have a trial tomorrow, so this really sucks majorly. I got into a polite argument with an American airlines agent because despite the "fog" there are other airlines like Delta headed to Atlanta, and I feel they should grant me the option of getting on another airline, but they won't unless it is one of their Oneworld partners, and those are all full....

Anyway, sorry for whining.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 43 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum