Post by Dee S on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:24 pm

I admit I didn't even read the article. mea culpa

Going to do so now
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by Dee S on Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:39 pm

I do see an inequality in the child support system. My son had no job. No prospects. Yet his child support was growing exponentially (with fines) by the week. He ended up in jail. Lost his license. His only solution was to give up custody of his daughter. She doesn't know him well and he has little relationship with her. He's "James" not "Dad" even though she knows he's her bio dad but then again, he's not "being" a dad either. At the time he gave up custody, his ex was working as a dancer making money hand over fist. Her choice to stay in that profession. Her pushing the child support was just because she could. It was her revenge for him leaving her when she was cheating with his ex-best friend. But yeah, he was totally in the wrong. NOT. (can we tell I'm a little resentful?)

I can also see the abuse angle from a man's point of view to a certain degree. What these men forget is that they hold a physical power over women that most of us don't have. She can hit, kick, etc but MOST LIKELY won't do any real damage. A man's strength and he's breaking bones if he hits a woman. I think there's more awareness of dv toward men, and perhaps more avenues for them to turn but IDK that personally.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah that is an unfair system—but it could happen to a mom if dad had custody as well. I don’t get how he can pay child support if he cannot drive and is in jail. Smh.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:11 pm

I watched One of Us, Maria. Personally I would have preferred that there was a narrator making the documentary a little easier to follow.

That being said, it is heartbreaking to see the damage these insulated religious communities bring with them. I noted it was the same producers of the evangelical Jesus Camp movie, another shockingly disturbing movie about what happens to kids inside those ferevent movements (I believe Jesus Camp also links the support this movement had for George W Bush).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:05 pm

You thought it was difficult to follow? Why?

It really doesn't matter which religion or organized group it is. This herd control exists everywhere in different degrees. Our societies all come down to the psychology that drives mankind. We need to grow up with a better understanding. This is also why I value individual liberty so much. I believe we are all individuals with individual desires and an innate need for freedom and the ability to create our own happiness. Yes we are herd creatures too but these two concepts don't have to be contradictory at all . Too bad most people confuse individual liberty with selfishness or the absence of altruism ( like Ayn Rand) when those are different concepts all together.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 pm

My critique is stylistic only. I thought it was moving. I just struggled at times with the jumping around from character to character with basically just a camera following them.

Substance was compelling. The case of Etty was the most shocking to me.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:30 pm

What does everyone think of Manafort and Gates arrest?

Sounds like the FBI was aware of Manafort’s dealings before the campaign and likely wants to flip him to give information on the Trump insiders?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:31 pm

I am so busy today but I was going to post a bunch of articles that come from both sides of the isle. This is a messy issue. I believe and still believe that both sides and campaigns have some sort of involvement to hide,including the FBI and that this investigation will not go beyond indicting low level involvement on all sides.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Anyone have big plans for Halloween? My kids ended up going to a Harvest party, but they didn’t have a desire to dress up this year (doesn’t help that we live in a remote area).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:58 am

We only had a few trick or treaters. Sad Ella loves seeing the kids dress up but none came after 7 pm.

We went out to play our pokemon game. We were having fun and the other team decided to start aggravating friends of ours who were playing elsewhere. We decided to stay peaceful and get out of there but it ended up online and I got banned from the chat again. I did nothing wrong this time. Controlled my temper. Didn't speak aggressively. Only asked why my friend had been banned in the chat for something done outside of chat. Seems unfair. IRL is just that, in real life. Chat rules chat, not IRL. So they banned me again. Someone stood up for me from the other team but she was ignored and talked down. I really think the guy who banned me has a problem with a woman who's assertive.

Walmart refunded the money for the tires we bought last month. I bought them online with his card for pickup at the store. He went, got the tires balanced and mounted and that was that. We thought. I got an email a few days ago telling me they were processing my refund. I don't return things, so that was very odd. Someone at the store messed up and never rang the sale as complete. After all of the money we overspend in that store for crappy products, I'm not sayin a word! It's spent already anyway. LOL

We had a nice dinner from Lee's Chicken, filled the gas tank, got some pop and candy for the trick or treaters and a few tasties for us. I think I'm gonna do this again for the rear tires. LOL
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:27 pm

We took Zoe trick or treating (such a weird holiday--I'd never observed it before Zoe). She did not like the costume, but my mother-in-law got it for her so it was compulsory Wink

She had more fun handing out candy to the neighbor kids.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:08 pm

OMG the cuteness!!! She's a very beautiful princess.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:40 pm

Very cute. Laura, even if she did not want to wear it. The toddler years are very up and down, hot and cold, with the little tikes rarely knowing their own mind from one minute to the next.

How is your associate attorney who went off the rails? How’s the firm holding up?

Dee, how do you keep getting banned? That’s so weird. Maria did your kids do anything for Halloween? Also, you never finished telling me about the dog.

Does anyone care that Houston won the World Series!?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks Dee and James. She turns three Sunday. We’re doing her party Saturday. They say the terrible twos, but I think it is really terrible threes, as her behavior has gotten much more challenging as she nears three.

I feel really bad about Tricia, the attorney who had the issues. It’s really bizarre—however, I have mentioned before the case of the grandmother who has her grandaugher  and has been fighting to keep custody of her granddaughter, well she is a psych nurse and ended up being the assigned nurse for Tricia. She’s not supposed to because of Hippa but she called me because she was so shocked to see her in there. She was high on meth, cocaine, marijuana, Xanax and had a BAC of .3.

I really don’t know how but I missed the warning signs. I had no idea that was going on.

Very cool on the Astros.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 pm

Totally for the sake of strengthening your argument against the bar, you’ve had how many ‘problem’ employees now? At what point does the you not know claim become ridiculous?

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm

It sounds like you trust your staff Laura. Nothing wrong with that. It seems they do a lot behind your back though. Perhaps have "getting to know you again" conversations? Maybe do some sleuthing and make sure they're doing what's best for your firm and not dirty deals behind the cover of being trusted. I hope if any of them need intervention that they get it but perhaps they need a little extra oversight while you get through all of this BS with the ex-employees.  

James I stand up for myself and those I care about - that's what I did "wrong" to get banned. The first time they banned one of my "adopted" sons, Rob. Like me, Rob is bipolar with very heavy depression. Life's been very difficult on him since his marriage failed and his 2nd daughter was moved out of town with his ex wife. His 1st daughter is here in town with his ex girlfriend and they're on good terms. Pogo is his escape and focus when he gets really down. Like me, get gets deep into the game and allows those successes to assuage the negativity. The game harms no one and gives those of us who play some sense of accomplishment as we progress. I just hit level 34 which needed 1 million xp earned to accomplish. 35 needs 1.25 mill. I'm already 1/3 of the way there.

Anyway, Rob confronted the arrogant asshat from the other team in the chat room and was pretty respectful. He just asked questions. The guy was an admin and banned him. It was petty and not just. I spoke up. I lost my temper. I got banned. They lifted the ban for us. We had a new friend start playing. He did something in real life to this asshat and was banned by him from the chat room. Nope! Sorry! Not just. I spoke up and didn't lose my temper. I still got banned.  

The good part of the bans is that the owner of the chat room, who's technically on our team, was shown to be a backstabbing asshat#2. Our bans were lifted. All 3 of us returned to the chat. Told them to shove them and left it of our own accord. Our team mates however, started up an entirely new chat for all 3 teams excluding the asshat and minions.

I warned the minions a few months ago that if they continued with their bullying and intimidation tactics they'd end up playing the game alone. Even their own team is disavowing them. Their actions. Not mine. But I won't stand for injustice when I can speak up. No more "doormat Dee". I'm done letting bullies get the better of me or those I care about. It's been a lifelong string of bullying. Ended.

We've been playing the game pretty hard during the past week due to a Halloween event where we were awarded "extras" for progressing. It just so happens that my body decided it was going to demand rest today. I slept a LOT.  Didn't get to sleep until 5 am. Got up at 8 for Ella's meds. Then slept until 2. Was up an hour or so, ate, back to sleep by 4. Up at 5:30, back to sleep at 6 until 8 for Ella's night time pills. I'm still feeling queasy and we'll probably stay in tonight. Or he'll get up (he laid down at 8 for a nap) and convince me to go out again. It's been cold and rainy. Either Ella brought me a viral gift from day care or my own immunity is biting me in the ass. Perhaps a little of both. My RA has flared up and I resorted to taking Norco yesterday for pain.

So.. short version .. I got banned because I was mammabear and someone hurt one of my cubs.

Yay Houston!!! WTG. Very Happy  (I'm really not a person who follows sports other than hurrah'ing Philly teams).

Last edited by Dee S on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Admin wrote:Does anyone care that Houston won the World Series!?

Evil or Very Mad

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:45 am

Whatever sports team wins in a given year becomes
My favorite team, and then I switch as needed the following season. It is great because I am never disappointed that way.

In regards to the staff and attorneys, other than Melissa, the rest don’t have a tremendous amount of access or scope to do things other than their assigned jobs. I cannont realistically be a baby sitter because despite what it sounds like, the firm is actually a place of business not a traveling circus side show.

We have three offices, and the problem stems from one office only, so we are closing that office down and relocating it to pull it closer to my partner and I. Hopefully that will solve the problem. The more difficult question we are trying to figure out is if there is a way to screen potential employees for red flag psychological problems without making it obvious.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:09 am

Side note: Tricia was also a part time attorney whose husband was a commericial airline pilot, so she only worked when he was home and had a very erratic schedule, so this contributed likely to making it harder to pick up something was wrong.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:52 am

Sorry Jae Sad I did watch the games, and both teams did well. I am kind of glad Houston got it after everything the city has been through this year. Much needed morale boost.

Laura, like Dee said, the problem is one of optics, so you probably would want to consider trying to scrutinize them more. But I get that it is hard, especially if you have multiple offices and cannot be there in person. A lot of companies struggle with employee issues.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Bergdahl got off really lightly... No prison time. Smh. It is not going to be taken well by veterans at all.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Jae, where do you think, as an actual professional with advanced training, the line between mental illness and culpability falls?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:35 pm

And then we have heartwarming stories about the wonderful United States like these: https://www.buzzfeed.com/adolfoflores/authorities-release-10-year-old-girl-with-cerebral-palsy?utm_term=.eaP78MZdR#.nebKOynx3

Speaking of mental illness, is the entire United States off its meds? Is that the true reason behind the Trump election?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:00 pm

Disgusting! I read of this the other day when it first happened. I expect it to either get much worse with 45 at the helm or for people to start fighting back. Neither will be good.

Opinions on this one... http://reason.com/archives/2017/10/26/the-fragile-generation .. I'm of the generation that would use the lights as my "be home by". I'd disappear for an entire day with one or two phone checkins. My parents would know roughly where I was or was supposed to be at and often would find me there if they needed me. The rare times I wasn't where I was supposed to be, I got my butt blistered and lost my privilege to "roam" freely for a period of time. They weren't bad parents. I wasn't a wayward child. I learned a LOT being out from under their wings. Today CPS is called and parents are called neglectful. We've gone too far. Sure, SOME kids need 24/7 constant supervision. Most do not. We're a nation of coddlers.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:25 pm

I feel bad that kids cannot just be kids. As you have seen from my pictures, my twelve year old son is operating quasi heavy machinery....and I am sure that would be frowned upon in many circles.

Happy Birthday, Zoe!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 41 of 43 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top