General Discussion and Updates

Page 5 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24 ... 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by Dee S on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.....

I'd asked my daughter to pick up something for me and drop it off after work - she and her hubby work 3rd shift. I forgot how heavily I sleep sometimes. I'd been without medicine all weekend and was able to get some last night, so I was pretty well out of it when I got up at 8 to wake Ella up for her day. She goes to a day care program 3 days a week - I'm the alarm clock. <joy>  I go back to bed after getting Ella moving.

I heard someone at my bedroom window "Mom! Wakeup! MOM!! Are you awake! We're here" .. it seems she'd been doing that for some time. . .

She'd messaged me on FB.

She'd texted me on sms.

She'd CALLED - S-I-X T-I-M-E-S!  Then came the window knocking......  I think that is the deepest sleep I've had in quite a while. It was a great pleasure that it was her waking me up. Smile  

But I'm cracking up that it must have taken her a half hour to get me to respond and she didn't give up. Her "get mom's attention" game has always been stellar

Thought you'd get a chuckle out of it.

Then I also ... after they left .. got the hiccups ...

TO make it even funnier - this is the pic that's associated to my daughter. . . SHE put this on my Google contacts.  

I admit I have the giggles . . I hope you enjoy it too.

Do I get a gold something too for taking up to page 5??  bounce  bounce
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Haha, Dee. That's a pretty deep sleep. I have that problem on the weekends sometimes when I nap with Zoe. Congrats for page 5, but I feel robbed of my high achievements in life now. cheers

In regards to a new person, there definitely seems to be space for it since we are missing four of the original group (maria, reem, abdul, gordie). I don't know exactly how the best approach in finding someone would work. Selecting someone on basis of a classification could prove offensive to many people. I suppose we could start by just looking through the hundreds of Forums on here?

I hope Merkel gets re-elected, as she has been a pragmatic leader and a voice for stability and often humanity as far as dealing with the refugee crisis--which Europe and the US have badly dropped the ball on. She temporarily suspended the Dublin regulation, which allowed for refugees, who were landing on Greece/Italy/Malta the opportunity to apply for refugee status somewhere other than country of entry.

People have not shown themselves to be strong advocates for the nobility of the human spirit during the Syrian crisis. Merkel has been the only leader to really put her principles first in many instances, although she, too, has been forced to back track, when it came to handling the refugee crisis. Unfortunately, she has flip flopped in pretty major ways, however.

And the wealthier western countries like the UK, France, Netherlands, Germany have been very unwilling to allow Syrian refugees into their boarders as well as Iraqi/Eritrean refugees and so forth. The Dublin regulation was an excuse since it forced countries with very limited financial resources, like Greece, to contain refugees that they really did not have the infrastructure to handle--which often led to inhumane conditions for the refugees.

Europe is struggling with a very nasty surge of populism. I think the evidence supports that, and Merkel is trying to walk a delicate line in preventing its insurgence. Scapegoating a group seems to be an inherent survival mechanism for the human race.

Trump is not helping the situation when he makes comments about the NATO spending publicly. It further angers German voters and forces Merkel to have to spend more time in this catch-22 of appeasing her voters and also trying to diplomatically solve problems on the world stage.

Interestingly, one country in Europe that hasn't been dealing with populism is Spain. Most likely because they spend decades under a dictator and saw the consequences of very nationalistic policies.

We cannot keep ignoring Syria. I think that was one of the failures of the Obama presidency. We should have intervened when there were moderate rebel forces.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:39 pm

What do you all think about the Iraqi Refugees that have been rounded up, most of them legal citizens, and deported in the past day? I'm very upset about it because it's effecting communities where I have dear friends/chosen family. AND because I feel, although legal by the letter of the law, it's heartless. Most of these people will be rounded up and killed by either the current administration or Daesh.

There has been a sweep focusing on the Chaldean Christians. Some had criminal offenses over 20 years old. Paid their fines, did their time, grew and became better citizens. Do you think this is just muscle flexing or is this another way to target the voting base? MANY Of these refugees voted for 45 because he promised to protect the Christian refugees. OOPS! He's not!

TY all for the clarification on populism. It wasn't a term I was aware of.
I see why you're concerned.

Sorry for stealing the gold hun. Wink
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 pm

So go down to quick reply and just type in whatever you want down here or add links etc.

Don't worry if it takes a little time to figure out.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Dee, I would really like to know more about the types of crimes they were found removeable for. Is this another stunt by the Trump administration? Are they all facing persecution if returned? It seems very harsh to send people back to a country where they are facing dire chances of survival even if they committed a serious crime here. SMH.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Admin wrote:So go down to quick reply and just type in whatever you want down here or add links etc.

Don't worry if it takes a little time to figure out.

James is modeling  a sample pivot employed by Sean Spicer/KellyAnne Conyway when faced with an uncomfortable question about Trump. Such pivot may and should be utilized only when there are no bushes to hide among.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 am

Ha, okay smart ass. Maria has joined the Forum but is still working on adjusting to the navigation.

Jae where are you? I'd give you flowers if I could transmit them electronically. flower

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Just saw that my last post never made it on. I was asking Dee if Chromie got his license back?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for asking James. Despite a lot of help from a dear friend, no. He has to pay a % owed in the arrears (It's over 2K) and then monies to the Secretary of State. The officer said she'd accept $145 as a down payment with $25 per month - he'll pay them off at $100 a month though. It appears his ex's claim for monies from the county for burial triggered this action. They sent a notice to his old address and lay the onus on him. It's funny that the SOS knew where he was and got their notice to us in a timely manner but they couldn't. Their systems talk to each other, so it's just a ploy they use. His kids are in their 30s. He had nothing in his head that he had to update FOC of his current where-abouts. He already has to notify the local PD due to his CSC conviction twice a year. It's not like he's not IN "the system" with currents.

MARIA! Where are you dear heart? I hope your busy life lets you join us here.

The crimes these men were charged with, served time for and paid their fines for (Mind you they are citizens!) were over 20 years old. One was for drug sales when he first came here. Another was a more violent crime, he robbed a store and shot a police officer. This one is 56 now, he did the crime in his 20s. By the letter of the naturalization process the US can strip a naturalized citizen of their citizenship for crimes committed and deport them. I could see where this was needed in less civil times of our nation, but the vetting is so good now that a friend from Morocco couldn't get IN because of a small theft conviction in his home town.

This is why it really eats at me. These men, some of whom came when they were children with their parents, have no idea of how to live in Iraq. Many don't even speak Arabic. They were raised here. Most of them own businesses or are the bread winner in their family. It's a matter of pride with the Iraqi families that the mother handles home and father brings home the money. Women work, but it's not desired most of the time. So now these families, also American citizens, will be left bereft for loss of their loved one and out in the cold for income. Sure, the community will help, as much as they can, but they will most likely end up on assistance, or even homeless. This is a stunt by 45 to look like he's doing something. He is. He's tearing families apart. He did it with many Latino families in CA/TX/AZ/NM and now he's doing it with the Iraqi's in MI/TX and other states.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Dee I am so sorry to hear that. It makes no sense at all to me. What is wrong with our country? And that question applies to the Iraqi situation as well. Why? What is the purpose? What higher goal is being server? I simply don't understand the logic or reasoning of so much going on with our country. At least back in the day of Queen Rania's channel, there was some sort of incoherent ideology in the neoconservative movement to vehemently dispute. Here, it just feels like the Mad Hatter and March Hare.

I've included some live coverage of Trump's cabinet meeting.

Where is everyone? It has gotten really quiet?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Jae is sick. Jae is down for the count. Jae cannot comprehend all this reading right now. Check back later if she survives.

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Some 2300 miles away, I guess I caught whatever Jae has, because I am also sick. Thanks, Jae for spreading your internet virus to me! jk.

Actually, Zoe came down with something (which seems to happen monthly), and I caught it (which also seems to happen monthly). Our pediatrician says it is because of her daycare. Anyway, I've got a major hearing tomorrow that I've got to get through and win somehow if my client is to have a shred of hope in his case.

Good to know Maria is here. I can try to send some screenshots to explain navigation when I recover.

Hope you feel better, Jae. I'll be back when I am over this.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:16 am

I'm sorry to hear Jae and Laura both aren't well. Please feel better. Daycare is a horrible place with germs. Sad Hope you're both better soon and your trial goes well Laura.

BTW I realized I was the silent one on adding people .. I'm all for it! I think we flourished before and we can again.

Have I said how happy I am that James sent out that email?
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm glad I sent the email, too. It is great to be in contact with everyone. Happy hump day!

Hope Jae is feeling better? Laura, how did you hearing go?

How's life everyone? Hopefully Maria will be back soon. Hope life is treating you well, Maria.

Another crazy day in the world? Two shootings.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Crying or Very sad Very sad about the shootings. Our world needs to stop with the violence.

Did you see the reactions of the Muslim communities in London to their recent tragedies? The fire last night! How horrible.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:04 am

It didn't go that well. Unfortunately, there were heated exchanges between myself and the judge towards the end, and I said rather sharply when the judge was repeatedly raising her voice with me for reasons I will explain below that "It's my job to protect my client's due process rights!" At which point the judge yelled "I know that!" and then she stormed off the bench. I make so many friends wherever I go....

My motion to continue was denied without prejudice, and I am supposed to somehow take a bunch of expert witness depositions between now and the trial on the 29th despite my own calendar being full to the point where I have been adding things to the weekends.

Synopsis abbreviated to protect client privacy: John Doe and Jane Doe were divorced in 2012 but have been litigating ever since. One of the children is diagnosed with a host of behavioral issues such as sensory processing disorder, autism and other disorders.

Jane and John have been feuding over the child's schooling, especially her IEP. Jane is ultra conservative and John is ultra liberal. They have radially different ideas about what IEP and other forms of schooling is best. John refused to sign an amended IEP on the basis it was too restrictive, and she initiated litigation to basically remove him from the child's life and from any involvement in the schooling on the basis he is unfit.

John's lawyer is an alcoholic (to bring up that other touchy subject from last week) and did nothing on his case, even showing up reeking of alcohol to the hearings. It got set for trial and John's attorney wanted more $$ and John did not have it and no longer had faith in his attorney (the guy picked up a DUI while representing John). So less than a month before trial, John's attorney files to withdraw.

John comes to me begging, and I agree to take it last week (I really have to stop getting sucked into these things). I immediately file a counter petition and all the necessary pre-trial motions and so forth that John's former attorney did not. Jane has a bunch of expert witnesses, and we have no idea what they are going to say but can assume it will be very bad for John. Keep in mind we're  two weeks out from a major trial, where John could lose his daughter.

I file to continue and cite detailed case law from our jurisdiction and appellate circuit stating that it is an abuse of discretion for the judge to deny a continuance when former counsel did not complete necessary discovery.

At the hearing today, judge wanted to take the reasoning of "too bad your former attorney did not do any of these things but you had your chance". I've got a court reporter there because John is going to go down in flames, and I want to preserve the issue for appeal.

Judge said she knew I was trying to build a case for appeal, and she was super upset because she obviously knew with the weight of the case law being so clear that denying my motion will mean John appeals, and my client would have a decent shot at winning on the issue.

So after huffing and puffing about it, she tried to take a middle path and is going to allow me to raise the motion again if I cannot get the depos done of all the expert witnesses because she's a relatively new judge and I do not thinks she wants to get reversed on this. It is pretty insane to expect I am going to be able to do that in two weeks (ten business days).

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:17 am

Geesh, poor UK is having a bad time of it. The shootings were pretty bad. It seems habitual at this point. Can the Republican congress really be surprised though? Not condoning it, but when people are losing access to medicare and so forth, how surprised can they be?

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/raul-labrador-town-hall-nobody-dies-access-to-healthcare-obamacare

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:03 am

Sounds like you have a really full plate Laura. Getting sick on top of it isn't helping (I know, I'm Ms Obvious).

I got a laugh out of the video only because these idiots on the conservative side have somehow made themselves believe the lie that no one dies without access to health care. They're really THAT out of touch with reality. It makes me sick (pun intended).

Jae's still under the weather and will join us when she's able. I talked with her briefly on Fb earlier.

We had some strong storms roll through.
I confirmed that "porch kitty" is a male. He was laying in such a way that the walnuts were unavoidably in view. So besides bathing, he needs to be neutered. There are way too many cats running around this neighborhood and I cry when they're not being cared for. I tried to get him to come inside for the storm but he just sat there and meow'd at me. He's taking more to my touch. Smile Makes me feel good that he's trusting me. His paw seems to be better, he's not limping as much. If I can get him into a carrier I'll take him over to petco and see if I can get him altered through cSnip program. It'd be the only way I could keep him. Unaltered males spray way too much and I can't handle the stench. And he'll be less likely to get into fights if he remains an outdoor kitty.

I can't believe it's 4 am already... more later... Hope you're all doing well and glad it's Thursday Smile
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Yeah you go for it , Dee, but keep the cats away from my kids. The last thing we need is more pets, lol. Long story. We have a goat.

The story about judge refusing to grant a continuance, which I am assuming is fancy talk for "delay/reschedule" is surprising to me if the judge is stating that your client should have no recourse for his attorney not acting?

Is it basically "buyer beware" as far as the court is concerned with attorneys? Or are you saying that the judge was way out of line and should have reschedule the trial? Will this come back to bite the judge? How complex of a process is it getting the depositions done?

I guess we've now come back full circle to the topic from last week regarding ADA and lawyer admissions. Would this be the opposing argument? That if the judge says "life's harsh; should have had a non-alcoholic attorney" and the client is facing losing custody of his daughter, then it would make sense why they would place excessive conditions on attorneys with a history of substance abuse?

And in no way is this me agreeing with it, because I don't, but I think Laura, you undermined your previous post where you said last week with a drunk lawyer, there are inherent safeguards? Or was that me? I need to reread.

I feel like there is a lot more going on in these last posts, but I am on lunch break and have to get back to it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:43 pm

You have a goat? Not an armadillo. Not a kitten. Not a puppy. A goat! LOL Love it! lol!

Porch kitty seems a lot more relaxed today. Our health aid is a bit of a kitty whisperer. She is the only person other than me that he lets approach or touch him. Chromie tries and he runs away. I think he only got close when he had food in his hand. I have a feeling it was a male that hurt him and that's why he is reacting that way. Time will tell.

We did go out for a ride and pokehunting last night despite the suspension. An hour into the ride and he jumped a curb leaving a convenience store and because our car is low riding, it involved the frame with the curb hitting just under my seat. Needless to say I was in agony. Light bumps hurt. THAT overwhelmed my nervous system. I couldn't breathe for a bit, then could only groan. I hate having such a delicate system. I've always been hardy. Never been an "owie" type. It hurts, shake it off, get up and hit harder. Yeah, can't do that anymore. He couldn't have apologized more or felt worse. I had brought some weed with us so we found a secluded spot and I lit up. He doesn't partake and I only do for pain. I really think his depth perception is off. It's not the first time he's done this but it is the worst one. I think we'll be staying home more until we can get things rectified with the FOC and DMV. I don't trust his eyes. He's a diabetic and I think it's affecting his vision more than he'll admit.

Yes, I know it's not the smartest thing to go driving without his license being reinstated. The only times we've been stopped is in towns we weren't known in for "driving erratically" while poke hunting. Or if we have an accident. Last night scared me so we might only do daylight although I'm not sure I trust that either. The bus jars me around way too much now.

A goat? Really??? That's awesome! A natural lawn mower. LOL

Laura I hope you're able to get it all situated with this case. A new judge is also learning the ropes. Hopefully she'll have a change of heart and reconsider the continuance. It really won't look good on her record if this goes to an appeal because of her ineptitude or "newness" on the bench.

A little funny for ya ... my connection kept going out. It'd reset the modem. I'd have wifi "restricted" but not have the hard connections on the ethernet connect. I called Cumsquat (comcast) and got a really lovely lady in SC to talk too. She was smart and took a call back number in case we got disconnected. She asked me to unplug and replug in the ethernet since that seemed to be a part of the issues that could be easily ruled out (not my first call to them). As I was standing up I said "this isn't very easy with me being in a wheelchair" and I tucked the phone between my shoulder and ear and my cheek booped a few buttons. OOPS... (My headset wouldn't work and speaker just echos too much) so just as I got to the back of the tower my cheek hit a call button and put her on hold. Then disconnected both calls.

I laughed and set the phone down. She said she'd call back, and she did. I answered "well that was fun. Hello again." in the course of this I said, "well you were cheek dialed. At least it wasn't butt dialed, butt cheek but face dialed face cheek". She was cracking up and it was filling time for computers to do computer things. She'd already reset the modem so it was on my end.

Next she asked me to simply restart the computer. I clicked and said "OHHHH CRAP! It says "Update and Restart" this could be a while! Winblows strikes again!"... Again laughter; "How about I get this to install and IF there's still a problem, this is probably what the problem is, I'll call back"

At one point in our conversation I said "Ohh this is the call you go home and tell your family "You wouldn't believe this lady today who cracked me up..." but she said "Oh no. What happens at Comcast stays at Comcast. I'm all about mommy mommy mommy when I get home to my kids." That's precious.

Will check in again later.... Hope you're all having a good day. After last night's brief storm, we have sunny skies here today. And 90F ... ac rules!!
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 pm

BTW, the update WAS the problem. Also had a bad driver that I deleted. But it's running smoothly since the call.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Admin wrote:
I guess as a starting point, I find it a little--a lot--overblown. Not to discredit lawyers, but it sounds like these organizations have an over-blown sense of what lawyers actually do. A drunk surgeon or a drunk pilot could be terrifying and kill someone.

A drunk lawyer to me would be more likely to be flagged by judges or his clients and get kicked off a case. Unless a drunk lawyer is practicing for years and years and somehow doing damage to the public without getting caught, only then would it be a danger, and I see that as a fairly far-fetched or isolated scenario.

Yeah, so that was you, James, not me. I was trying to figure out if I'd ever said that. I'm tempted to change the design format on you to something even worse than the Wiccan as punishment (in fact, I probably will).

I'm familiar with John Doe's previous lawyer, and I also did notice he smelled like alcohol at an unrelated hearing last summer, so I think my client's assumptions were correct. I did not raise his potential alcohol issue at the hearing and never overtly threw him under the bus--I just recoil at the idea of doing so, and it would be very bad to have a reputation as throwing other attys under.  So in fairness, perhaps you are wrong that an attorney would be stopped before doing extensive damage to the public. My argument was that it is handled in a way that violates the ADA and that it discourages people from seeking treatment. As a third point, I would argue that it is not even effective at screening people out.

In this particular case, the judge is not only relatively new but just got assigned to the division, where this case is pending. The client does bear some responsibility in not replacing his attorney earlier in the game and before the attorney decided to withdraw. I can see the judge's point as far as that goes to an extent, but do not think the law supports her denying his continuance on that ground. I'm going to just have to be very intentional to preserve everything for appeal. These last few months have been non-stop trials, so what's another one I suppose...

Sounds like you were partying like it's 1999, Dee. Sorry to hear about the accident with the curb though.

James, are you sacrificing goats now? Did the Wiccan page last week really inspire you that much?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:37 pm

OK I thought I was in the wrong place..... lol!

No not partying. He just didn't see the curb. You know that dream where you feel like you're falling and startle awake? Yeah, that, without the being asleep thing.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 pm

This is going to completely confuse Maria if she comes back.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24 ... 43  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum