General Discussion and Updates

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Discussion and Updates

Post by Admin on Mon May 29, 2017 1:06 am

Hello all,

This format is a little different than what we are used to but is easier to use and has a much broader range of capabilities. For example, articles can be embedded in the post or other forms of media, like videos.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Repost of Jae's Post from Conqr

Post by Admin on Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 am

I voted for Hillary as well but more so out of a "lesser of two evils" approach than what I actually wanted. Hillary definitely did not get a fair shake because of her gender, I believe any man who had the same record would not have been crucified like she was, but I also believe some people jumped on the "first female president" band wagon and supported her whether or not she was the best choice...as for the two party power, while I agree there should be a more level playing field for all parties, I think we're well beyond the point of achieving this, the two parties are far too powerful now. I don't believe the liberties and freedoms we've enjoyed are necessarily at risk, and I try to control my outrage before things actually happen as the fear mongering and sensationalism gets out of hand. The majority of the outrageous things Trump has threatened to do or tried to do have been slapped down in court, and I don't think this fake news bull and the limits to the press will ever come to pass in his predictably short administration.

As for me, I have crawled away from the group home where I was frequently assaulted, then spent a year getting beaten up by special needs children (but that was easier to accept due to their limitations), then I strolled on out to the ghetto and worked in the community in Compton, Watts, and South Central, so I guess where I'm at now is a big step up Smile

If Harvey would respond I think he may pop in to say hi. The others I have no means of contacting them Show less

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by Admin on Mon May 29, 2017 1:10 am

Repost from Laura: Conqr

Jae, I totally agree in your summation of Clinton. I voted for Clinton, too, which I thought was super important because I am in that swing corridor in Orlando, FL. I preferred Sanders as well, but I deeply resented the misogyny endemic in the election. In terms of DNC, they did not even put up a fight to get Rubio out, and he was not popular at all in Florida. One of attorneys I know is in FL DNC and said the dems decided not to give him [opposition Murphey] funding because they viewed that as a waste. With extra push, he could have been elected, so I am pretty sick of the DNC as well.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon May 29, 2017 1:12 am

Repost from Dee from Conqr:

I also voted HRC. I didn't see Sanders as a viable win although I agreed more with his platform than anyone else. I have family who voted for 45. I'm very upset he got into office and have been railing against him ever since. I will continue to do so. We have a pretty good chapter of the ACLU in West Michigan and I hope to join soon.

I'm getting a lot of blowback from my sister and a few other relatives who can't understand why I haven't shut up and accepted his ass in that seat. I have to remind them every time that our country was founded on rebellion and the rights of the many over those of the wealthy. I'm making a little headway with my sister but the other relatives have just stopped talking to me all-together. The quiet is nice Very Happy LOL Show less

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon May 29, 2017 1:16 am

Dee: I didn't every think that Sanders was a viable pick. He said a lot of the right things, but then lacked basic ways to back up many of his proposals.

This election seems to have split up a lot of families. My mother voted for Trump, and in Texas territory, it is Trump Country, which again amazes me because Trump is an East Cost billionaire with nothing in common with the people who vote for him other than perhaps racist tendencies. I think a lot of closeted racists and bigoted people came out of the woodwork. More than most of us would have thought.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon May 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Don't be fooled. the racists have always been there. They just think that they now have license to act on those racist beliefs. I think they're being shut down as soon as they start their crap. Sadly people are loosing their lives by standing up to them and then being demonized by this idiot in the white house.

I do not have sufficient words to express how much I despise that man. I lived in NYC in the early 80s, and worked in the RE industry. His reputation was such that as a female I was told if I was ever alone with him to make that change ASAP. Thankfully I never met him personally. As for deals, he's always been ruthless. He'd buy a building, "get" it empty (by any means necessary), do minor aesthetic changes and triple the rent roll/price. He's trying to take that same ruthlessness and apply it to public service - and this is what we have - an inept 2 yr old throwing tantrums all over the world with the nuclear keys in his hand! To say I'm terrified for us having a future is an understatement.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon May 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Wow, Dee. Did not know that you worked in the industry with him. I was in NYC over the weekend he was there back in beginning of May (I am barred in NY and FL), and New Yorkers generally despise him. Everyone says he was horrific before, but is now a public enemy. The amount of police on every street corner in riot gear etc. is really sad.

As far as the racists, had a trial last summer that was PBL (life sentence), and involved a case where my client had brutally sexually assaulted and kidnapped an illegal immigrant and then later confessed. Not only did it take until 9pm that night the day of selection because the State had to keep striking jurors for cause due to the blatant racist comments they were making about Mexicans, but the panel ultimately selected ended up acquitting our client. The state attorney chalked it up to "the Trump effect." That should have been a warning sign about the pending election right there. But I still believed it was only because we are in the south that there was so many sympathizers.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon May 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Wasn't technically "with" him but yes, in the same industry. I worked for Property Investment Group at 51st & WEA with Greg Barron. He'd buy properties, and do exactly what he learned from Trump. It was my 2nd job after I got married. My first was at SPG Contracting, also partly owned by Barron. I was 18 and very much a small town girl in a big bad city. I was so naive. I haven't been back to NYC since the late 80s when my daughter was an infant.

I didn't realize you were an attorney. It's sad that the victim didn't get justice due to the climate though. People are highly emboldened now to voice whatever they think without considering the consequences. Sure, there's freedom of speech but that doesn't remove the responsibility incurred for speaking something hateful or harmful.

I've never like bigots. I lost all respect for my father when he showed what a closet bigot he was when my son was born (he's 1/2 Puerto Rican). He said what he said and I told him that was inappropriate and would not be tolerated. As of right now, we have spoken one time in the last 10 years and it wasn't pleasant. He harangued me at my daughter's wedding, calling me every nasty thing he could think of. At the wedding. In front of family and friends. My kids are close to him but not me. I want nothing to do with his type of "love".

There's supposed to be a neo-nazi march in 18 cities on June 10th. From what I can see there will be one here in MI in Lansing. This has gotten scary where they are so emboldened to be public about their beliefs. Thanks 45....

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Mon May 29, 2017 7:08 pm

The climate has definitely gotten out of control and while I've seen a few instances of people being called to task for their actions, such as losing their jobs for racist and hateful social media posts, I think the majority of these individuals have not had to take responsibility for their actions because no one is holding the ring leader accountable. Until Trump gets some real consequences for everything he has said done, no one else in the US is going to get theirs either. It can't come quick enough. By the time this investigation is done and impeachment proceedings begin he will probably have been in the WH for another year. The damage will be irreversible.

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Tue May 30, 2017 12:08 am

BTW thanks James for dedicating your memorial weekend to finding a forum...I think I like this one better than the other

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 30, 2017 12:42 am

Dee--I cannot imagine what you went through at the wedding. The guy sounds like an absolute scum bag. How long ago was the wedding? The personality of the abuser never changes--the need for control is absolute.

Jae, there have been so many local hate crimes. It is frightening, and I think it varies in the country, but it IS on the rise because Trump tapped into the dark, evil undercurrent of our country. What is the mood like in California. I saw the riots on TV, but what is day to day mood like?

Laura--that's very disturbing trial. I would think it would be very complex representing the defendant accused of that kind of crime, and bitter-sweet getting him off. Criminal defense has always seemed like a mire of moral ups and down. Did you feel guilty--no pun intended--that he got off?

Should we get rid of the electoral college? What are the next steps for fixing our political system? Is there anything we can really do or have the people simply made their bed , and we must all lie in it?

PS: No problem on the Forum. It was a fun project, and I can't take credit without thanking Laura for helping me out.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue May 30, 2017 12:59 am

April (my daughter) was married just 4 years ago. My parents and sister drove up here from NJ over two days. It really wasn't smart to do that considering my parents health issues. They should have taken 3-4 days to drive. They can't fly because of his heart. He disapproves of my faith choice which I find hilarious considering he's an avowed Atheist. I was still smoking then, which is how he cornered me; and he literally cornered me so I couldn't escape his vitriol. He can't handle that I won't do as he says. I'm 52 years old. I've never done as he said because he's an abuser who's always tried to control through fear. I'm sure he loves 45 and all of his antics.

BTW I quit smoking two days later.... 4 years 3 days ago. I just smoke weed now for pain management. cheers

We can't just get rid of the electoral college. It's a part of our Constitution and would take a Constitutional Congress to make that happen. Even impeachment will be difficult and take a long time.

I'll also say thank you for finding us a place to talk, Laura and James.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 am

I see all the events on TV as well, we had a KKK march in Anaheim shortly after Trump won the election, but I feel I'm generally sheltered in my little niche. We had a Pro-Trump rally in our city a few months back; 60 people showed up. I went to an anti-Trump protest in LA where there were 20,000, so it's not too disheartening here, but things are happening. I hear anecdotes from friends about racism they've encountered, but haven't seen too much firsthand. The only direct exposure I've had was when I had walked into my vet's office last month and the guy in front of me was laughing while talking to the receptionist. His phone went off and he said "oh there's ICE now!" He laughed again, the receptionist laughed a little too. Not knowing the context initially I just smiled as he left and went up to the counter. The receptionist's face changed and she said "that guy just asked me if I had my papers." She brushed it off saying that he always gives them a hard time and said he was being stupid because his girlfriend is Mexican too, but she was clearly bothered and it bothered me. Initially after Trump won I found myself being hesitant to wear any clothing that identified me as gay, but I've found myself flaunting my pride more openly now, as it seems we need to be seen and heard more than ever now.

Some of my family members voted for Trump, some of them are still standing by him while others have faded away into embarrassment. I got into a few arguments with some, most have settled down, but I'm still not talking to another cousin for her staunch support in Captain Dipshit, especially after her Mexican husband attacked my friend on FB for getting birth control from Planned Parenthood because she's a "mooch on the system." He's definitely brought out the worst in people, but like Dee said, it's been there all along.

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 am

Hi, Dee. Yep I'm an attorney for better or for worse. I actually just finished burning the midnight oil prepping for a trial tomorrow. As I recall, I believe I was in my second year of law school in 2012 when the Forum fizzled out. It is incredible we're all back in touch, and I really enjoy the thoughtful posts everyone has supplied. I actually am married with a two-and-half-year-old daughter now.

In terms of the victim in the case last summer. It's a very difficult situation. Obviously, I am going to be glad that my client was acquitted because it was my partner and my's job to put up the best defense possible, and the State's job to convict. But it is a sensitive subject and these scenarios can be triggers for people, so I try to avoid discussing too much.

James, I do have some lines. I'll never represent someone accused of a crime against a child for example. But it is very murky waters doing criminal defense. Beyond the scope of this post. I don't think I would represent someone in a rape or sexual assault case again absent compelling facts.

It will always stand out in my mind regarding Trump though because there was an actual video-taped confession which the State played for the jury. And for whatever reason, after a week long trial, it took them about four hours to deliberate and acquit him.

The fact that she had been in the country ten years illegally, didn't speak English (had a translator during the trial and depos) touched on some very racist behaviors I think in the jury. Also, during the cross, she became combative and had some slight inconsistencies in her story, and I was super careful to be pleasant and sensitive in my demeanor with her, so that did not sit well with the jury I am sure.

In terms of Trump, this is also perhaps a sad reflection on a lot of things, but the strategy was to suggest she orchestrated the entire thing to naturalize through VAWA (violence against women act). Finally, it was a fatal attraction situation, where she had started stalking him when he broke up his affair with her. However, no one deserves what she went through. Ever.

The forensic techs were sloppy at points, and my partner actually got one of them to say she made a mistake when photographing the victims injuries. Again though none of this was material to the case. The State should have had a slam dunk. They were so confident they would get life, they had refused very reasonable plea offers.

For me, the problem is being in the South, I tend to assume there is a lot of lingering demons regarding bigotry and racism. I have become inured to it. But like Jae and Dee pointed out, it has been there all along across our country, and if there are KKK marches in California, which I think of as a progressive and liberal state, that does not sit well for the rest of the country.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm

In spite of some of the inconsistencies with her story and the aggressive behaviors of stalking, I fail to see how a taped confession could result in an acquittal. It doesn't surprise me in some ways, but in others I'm shocked. I guess I'm falling to that point of desensitization where not much shocks me anymore. What state are you in again?

The sad fact is that with Trump's campaign, even if he had lost, he had awoken this sleeping giant of racism and bigotry that would not have been put back to bed easily. We suddenly saw this ugly side of America that reared its head. Yes racism has always been here but I don't believe we knew to what magnitude until he began his campaign trail and all these roaches came crawling out from under the fridge. And if Hillary had won, the country still would have been divided, the distrust of one another and racism would have continued...I guess the question is to what degree? Would Hillary's presidency have been able to keep things under better control? Would we have regained some semblance of pre-Trump normalcy or would we have been permanently 'woke'?

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue May 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Jae, I think we're completely 'woke' now and that too isn't going to go quietly. Our nation has always had this ugly undercurrent but after the civil rights movement of the 70s it was pretty much understood that bigotry and racism were not good and should be kept to oneself. NOW It's considered "free speech" (however they misunderstand that amendment) but they're expecting no repercussions to their ugliness. I'm not of the "turn the other cheek" club and have had a few confrontations, online and in real life although online is where people are more "brave". Chickenshits hiding behind a keyboard seem to have very ugly things to say, until confronted. Friends of mine have gone so far as to contact spouses, parents/children and employers of some of the more nasty ones. I figure if they want to put themselves out there and be ignoramouses, then they should be ready to pay the piper when it "gets real".

On the plus side I've seen many people WAKE UP and realize that this isn't just "words" but it's more of a rushing wildfire that can, and must, be stopped. I have confidence that it will eventually burn out. I doubt our nation will ever be the way it was though. There are too many scars. I know we'll heal but not until the tantrum throwing idjit in the white house is removed.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 30, 2017 9:48 pm

I guess we all know, Trump did not come to power in a vacuum. So the entire time I thought the world was changing for the better under Obama, a powerful "blacklash" as Van Jones called it was forming.

Did we miss obvious signs? That is what I always ask myself. Like Laura, if you are a liberal in the South, (perhaps one of the reasons we hit it off back in the UK), you start to assume that people are just that way in this part of the country, and have low expectations for them.

For all the talk about the blue collar workers, the economy was in a state of steady growth under Obama. Yes, technology changes the nature of life as we know it. That is a reality we all live with every day, but is that the real reason when many people are doing better than they were under Bush? Is rural poverty the reason for Trump's success? Or is it really at the end of the day simply as we have been eluding to: bigotry, racism, misogyny and a hate of the "Other."?

The entire case synopsis regarding the illegal immigrant sexually assaulted is disturbing to read for many reasons. But it made me realize something else that goes to the "is it really overwhelming racism at the end of the day"? when it comes to Trump.

Racial bias seems to be so superficial, ridiculous, and so disproved as having any valid basis in a society, so why in the legal system, is race so incredibly important to juries? The OJ trial is an obvious example, but clearly it is all over the place in the legal system.

Why are Americans so obsessed with race? And if I understand correctly, there is a minimal threshold for juries. They cannot be felons? They are collected from voter registration lists and therefore de facto the people who are out voting? That is scary....

By the way, Jae, how is your nephew, Aiden, doing? The one you had pics of and talked about a lot?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Does anyone know if Maria is still having difficulty getting here?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed May 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Admin wrote:Does anyone know if Maria is still having difficulty getting here?

She posted in the group email that she's been busy and will check it out when she gets time.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 31, 2017 8:37 pm

Dee S wrote:

She posted in the group email that she's been busy and will check it out when she gets time.

Ahh, I see.....covfefe

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 31, 2017 10:57 pm

Was it this insane in the political landscape (or any landscape) seven years ago? Are we just in a hyper-postmodern/post-truth era? Late stage-capitalism?

Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement now?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Wed May 31, 2017 11:47 pm

Admin wrote:
Dee S wrote:

Ahh, I see.....covfefe

You were just dying for the opportunity to use that somehow, weren't you? Laughing

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 am

To be honest, I feel that for the majority of his supporters, Trump won not because of, but in spite of his racism and misogyny and bigotry. Trump played into many of the general population's concerns on hot button topics such as abortion, gun control, terrorism, illegal immigration, and government corruption. He tapped into the values, fears, and frustrations of so many citizens that they were immediately enamored with his hollow promises. Many of the people I know who voted for Trump are not racist, but they are anti-abortionists, they are gun owners. Many are legitimately afraid of terrorism and frustrated with corrupt government, and many are tired of some of the problems illegal immigration can sometimes bring. Much like Hitler, Trump played into these issues and many stereotypes of the people that go along with them, so much he won people over with fear, anger, scapegoating, and us versus them mentalities.

What I have yet to figure out is how Trump seduced these people to the point that they became blatantly blind to the issues of racism, sexism and sexual assault. One of my cousins actually called these things the "finer details" of his problem and stated that if we step back and really focus on it, we all agree on the bigger picture of Trump's platform. In what dimension is rape, racism, and misogyny a finer detail?

Wow James, you must have the memory of an elephant or you're cheating off some crib notes you took years ago! Aidan is doing well, he is 13 now, still lives with his mom, stepdad, and 2 half-siblings, now in Arizona. He's coming for his summer visit in a few weeks and I am thrilled. I also have had two little nieces added to the monkey tree as well, Eleanor who is 3 and June who just turned 1. I love these kiddos so much and can't wait to eventually start my own little brood. Here's some pics cuz as you know I love to share them

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:24 am

Jae wrote:
Admin wrote:
Dee S wrote:

Ahh, I see.....covfefe

You were just dying for the opportunity to use that somehow, weren't you? Laughing
Weren't we all? Wink

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 am

Jae, the monkeys are adorable. Of course, I've gotten to see the pics in the interim years. I can't believe Aiden is 13 already! Of course I can't believe my first-born will be 32 in two months either. I can't wait until you start on your own branch of the tree Jae. I'm sure they'll be adorable.

To all of you, enjoy them while they're growing.  I think my son is finally realizing how much interaction with him means to me and he's seeing me becoming frail, which scares him horribly.  He'd let many holidays pass without even saying a word to me. This past mother's day he showed up and surprised me. His sister had been here earlier in the day and my roommate's great grands had stopped in also. I was pretty tired when I saw a shadow pass by the windows, walking up the ramp.  I opened the door to see his smiling face exclaiming "OMG It's YOUUUU! You're HERE! You're really HERE!"  I didn't mean too be so dramatic, but it surprised me to my core. Not only did he come but he brought us an artisan pizza from my favorite place and some locally brewed IPA, that he also knows is a favorite.  He put a LOT of thought into his surprise and I think that meant the most to me.  Perhaps he's finally forgiven me for going to Morocco?  

I'm still of the faith but I'm more of a "friday evening Muslim" than a good, practicing one. I believe in the tenets and the theology, I don't perform the daily rituals nor do I fast due to my health. I've tried for years and each year it just makes me very ill to fast. So I try to do good deeds, watch my language and actions and, like Catholics during Lent, act with a bit more reverence and thought.

I'm with a wonderful man who's more my age and that I've known for over 10 years. He worked for me when I had a delivery service. We reconnected over FB and we've been together since shortly there-after. He was raised Baptist and is from a small town just north of me. Due to circumstances of his living situation then, he moved in here within 3 weeks of us starting dating. We just passed our 2nd anniversary on the 27th of May. I call him Chromie but his name is Dwaine. He wore an old German helmet that was chrome when he rode motorcycles and got his nickname from that, not his lack of furry stuff on his head. Wink

This is us shortly after we started dating.

Ella is now 79 and as ornery as ever. She's starting to really show her age and dementia lately. Not much can be done, it's a part of life.

So, we've got MI, FL/NY, TX and CA? IDK what state Maria is in, or the others who haven't joined in.  What a great view of all of our country from just us few.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top