General Discussion and Updates

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by Dee S on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:46 am

I think religion should be out of anything governmental. If churches want to sponsor or support candidates they should lose tax free status.

Laura, I don't know how I'd react running into a known/admitted abuser in that manner. With all of this stuff I'm finding I'm a lot more brittle and frail than ever. Probably due to my facing it all head on recently. Stable relationship seems to be my brains' trigger that "it's ok to remember all the shit in life". I have to be really careful how much of this crap I follow or comment on.

Hope you feel better fast hun.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:43 am

The problem I think, Dee, is that is runs much deeper than the overt sponsorship. The religious communities are deeply invested in the right wing rhetoric, and there is a twisted and perverted relationship between evangelical Christians and the right. I agree, it is sickening that Ray Moore is still garnering wide spread support and only the more moderate Republican voices will condemn Moore (I use that term lightly as the move towards extremism in both parties makes ‘moderate’ anything not completely crazy).

I also think Religious communities are well aware of the corruption and abuse in their midst, and even sanction it. Like, Laura, many of the evangelical churches in my local area as well as the one I grew up in tend to be plagued by issues of sexual abuse, underage, non consensual relationships towards teenagers in the church etc.

It is somewhat staggering all in all that this is the state of our cube and only in 2017 is it even being pressed at all.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm

"Captain, there are no signs of intelligent life on this planet."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 pm

shhh... it's wabbit season....
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:22 am

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Gobble gobble

Hope you're all ensconced in family and having great gatherings with no tension.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone as well. Zoe's having fun.

Germany was good, too, but quiet. I got to torment Zoe more than usual, lol.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:12 am

She's so adorable. I want to snatch her and make a run for it.

We had a good holiday---busy with my mom, uncle and aunt, brother and his wife. It was nice. I will get around to posting pics, and I always love to see everyone else's pics.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 am

I'm with James! She'd be a fun one to run off to the circus with. Wink

Nothing and no family here. Woke up to find Ella had left already to her family for the day. She brought home two servings of dinner home, with a whole pie.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks. We packed during the day (we are renting out our current house on the 1st and moving to an Airbnb place while we wait for our new house to be built). Did the family thing that evening. But it ended up being kind of weird, lol, after my sister got into it with my dad and her mom.

This is the best photo we got. Zoe was not cooperating so I had to threaten her that we’d leave—hence her pasted on smile.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Great picture! Zoe definitely looks like she is smiling under duress, lol.

What happened with your sister?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Long story short (and I believe I filled Dee on some of this when we met in Michigan), my sister went to Tanzania in Africa about four years ago after graduating college--met this guy, who in my opinion, and the opinion of many, is irresponsible (he claims to be a 'missionary' but he is 31 and has spent all his adulthood running around in Africa).

They ended up breaking up. My sister was not taking anti-malaria meds as directed and got incredibly sick after a couple years there and came back here, where she had like a year of treatment for post-malaria issues. He hooked up with someone else. They hated each other for a year, and then in March of this year started up a long distance relationship again, she dropped out of the master's degree program she was in, and announced just recently that they are getting married in March 2018 in Hawaii and she is going back to Tanzania with him.

I think my family has every reason to have reservations, but the way they are handling it is making situation worse.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:07 pm

I can say with full confidence that ultimatums and threats won't work to change her mind. All that will work is if she sees him for the user that it appears he is. The problem is, how to do that without "interfering" in her right to make her own decisions.

Do your families know his? Can his "mission" be contacted and his position be verified? Missionaries work for specific churches because they're supposed to be spreading a specific version of their gospel. References? Friends? People in Tanzania that anyone knows who could vouch for him or tell you what the truth could be regarding his standing, activities or proclivities.

This guy sounds horribly shady to me but I also think all Missionaries are quite shady going into remote areas and pressuring locals to follow their brand of religion. Some only offer food or relief IF the local submit and convert.

I hope you're able to intervene or that his true intentions are revealed prior to their marriage. She *is* an adult though and is legally able to do as she pleases no matter who disagrees. Sounds like she's throwing her life away for some guy. I've learned the hard way, that never ends well.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Happy Birthday, Dee! cheers sunny

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Thank you James Smile
Another year older and deeper in debt. LOL
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Happy Birthday, Dee! Hope you have a fun evening planned.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:07 pm

In regards to my sister, I completely agree that it makes no sense and she is endangering herself as well as severely compromising her future.

I am also highly skeptical of even the ‘legitimate’ missionaries. Moreover, in past conversations I have never gotten a sense when asking questions that much of anything (other than offering transpot in their vehicle) was done regarding getting villagers improved access to roads (which allows better medical care for example) and water supply access. All big issues that are needed to decrease child and infant mortality, prevent disease, starvation etc.

But in their mind,  ‘conversion of the eternal soul’ is the goal. There is also this latent and strong belief that negative behaviors such as drug addiction and domestic violence will not change unless the people accept Jesus and then, of course, it will all be solved. They also have incited existing tensions between Christians and Muslims when they go in there.

Last thing I want is to borrow trouble, and I would only make it worse if I voiced criticisms (my brother is already being very vocal about doing and making it worse).

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Your sister is like what 25? She’s gonna do what she is gonna do, no after how foolish her elders realize it is. Adding this Jesus nonesense provides a convenient justification for his being a jack ass and her denying she is making a horrible life decision. But who am I to talk? I made plenty of horrible decisions and can’t say I regret all of them—like I would never regret my kids even if totally unplanned. And I was in no way ready.

Anyone thinking about North Korea? https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/world/north-korea-missile-defense/?utm_term=.2f9ea8eb82ce

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:25 pm

By the way, I think the three of us are what’s left of the Forum in any substantive way. Chromie, where are you?

Perhaps we need to have a serious and more coordinated discussion about adding additional members? Does anyone have raves in thirninvoxes of additional contact info like Twitter or Facebook or anything for Reem, Abdul, Harvey?

Dee, I honestly think you have more friends than Laura and I. I saw the mountain of happy birthday wishes on Facebook. You saw the pathetic outpouring on mine. I am not whining but saying I just don’t think I have remotely like minded people to join.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Helping build roads and aid in access to health care and water is very much needed. I get that. What I don't get, and what causes a huge rife in the communities, is why people have to convert to get that help. If you're Christian, going into a predominantly Muslim area and are trying to convert, you're gonna cause problems, no matter what the reason is. I seriously doubt if the locals are trying to convert them to Islam. It's just rude at the very least and dangerous for their well being, at the worst. These religious battles irritate the shit out of me. Why can't we just let people worship as they wish when they're not harming anyone in that worship? Or not worship. If God wanted us all to worship in one way or another, he's God. It'd be that way. grrrrrr

I wish your sister well but she's setting herself up for a very difficult life. At 25. That's sad. I'm sure that no amount of talking to her is going to make her change her mind either. Start the rescue fund now, she's going to need it.

Yes, I have a lot of FB friends. I asked some of them. Obviously none bit. I'll ask a few in inboxes. I've got a ton of opinionated friends. Perhaps Dawn or Rex, I asked Rachel, she's very busy though. Chromie says he'll get here when he gets here. He's on Chromie time.... I have no contact info for either of the remaining 3 either. I've looked.

I was running a low grade fever for a few days. Not sure what's causing it. Probably this damned refilling cyst on my head. My annual battle with SAD has returned .. yayyyy less sunlight (blech), so I've been a total "joy" to be around.

My birthday was nice. We went to Unruly Brewing where they have an artisan pizza place called Rebel Pies. It's a cooperative space so there are 3 businesses in one area.
I really love Rebel Pies and that's what we had rather than going to Boar's Belly who no longer do the free dinner. We got there early and the woman told me it's now $12.50 off your meal but you must order an appetizer (they run about $Cool and an entree. Ummm nope. We hadn't budgeted for that - and I really don't like eating there since it revolves around pork.

Anyway, my son joined us and then picked up our tab for Unruly. The brewery is in the basement so it's very fresh. If you know anything about brewing, most places add flavor after the process. Unruly does it at the beginning and then ages it in casks or barrels depending on the taste they want highlighted. The one I had was 9.1% alcohol. I had two. I'm glad they can't cite me for drunk driving, because I was definitely weaving in my chair. We had taken the bus downtown so I could be comfortable in my chair rather than exhausting myself trying to walk. It made for a more fun time and the bus runs late enough that we can have fun and still get home.

Hope you all have a great day....
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:42 pm

I love craft IPAs and craft beer generally. The higher alcohol content does not hurt I must admit.

I agree on the missionary thing. I just don’t get it. But there is a lot I don’t get anymore.

By the way, anyone followed Flynn plea? Or the ever escalating sexual harassment claims, including Matt Lauer and Franken?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 am

The beer I had was the RJD on this list http://unrulybrewing.com/the-beer/. It was aged in a Jack Daniels barrel. It was really good. Smile I prefer the heavier dark beer. I was definitely swerving in my chair. LOL

I'm glad for the plea deal. It starts the ball rolling and it's all downhill from here. Papadopolis (or however you spell his name) also plead guilty for a plea deal. I'm on RAH RAH team Mueller right now. He's kicking asses, taking names and bringing down inditements. Gives me hope. Discussions today varied on if this might topple the whole tower or just the head knucklehead. I'm hoping it's a falling house of cards. It'll take a year or so for it to really unravel, but I'm rubbing my hands together in glee picturing it. Americans and America are strong. We'll recover and come out even stronger in the end. The chasm is huge now. I'm hoping this will build bridges back for those who chose the wrong side.

Tax Bill? ZOMG I'm so pissed at how this was rushed to vote. Here's the text to it, if you're interested... https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/TAX%20SUBSTITUTE.pdf

I've had a hard day. Been horribly sad and depressed. A friend lost her battle with cancer today after a very hard, way too short, fight. ... wrote so much more but deleted it. Rambling .. hope you guys are all OK. Enjoy your weekend.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:18 am

Th tax bill is atrocious. SNL’s celebration of the tax bill as Trumo’s only achievement was fairly humorous last night.

There are a lot of issues with our existing tax code that are accidents of history and health insurance falls right into this category. Employer sponsored health insurance for example was a result of WW2 in the US as a way of compensating employees when employer could not at as much (oversimplifying but essentially that’s what happened).

The issue down the road became politicicized and then polarized and here we are not having sensible discussions about issues.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:20 am

As far as Flynn, although Ivanka is by far away superior to her idiot brothers and I think her husband is also more intelligent than them, I would not be surprised if whenpush comes to shove, Trump sacrifices his ‘Jewish son in law’ and let’s Ivanka take the hit to protect himself and his sons. Total speculation so we will see how it plays out. I think Trump relies on Ivanka and Kushner because they are not total idiots, but I also think he may view them as expendable. He is a classic narcissist.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:11 pm

People have gotten so lazy that they want a postage card filing option? WTH is that? The deductions that 60% of us use are being lessened or eliminated. I haven't filed since the early '00s due to my income being solely SSDI. It's not taxed.

I have no doubt that both Kushners and the sons will be thrown under the bus before 45. He deliberately set up layers around himself. I have faith in the anti-45 movement that the layers will continue to be pulled back until the core of this nasty rotten onion (45) is revealed.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next