General Discussion and Updates

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by laurav on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm

I'm not going to say much about the shooting because it is so frustrating. I have gone into the academic and to constitutional arguments after the Las Vegas shooting.

While people can focus on mental health as the issue, it's not practical nor feasible to imagine that we can adequately treat people so as to prevent gun violence or violent behavior. We have hundreds and thousands of years of history proving what people are capable of. Science in the field of neurology is steadily eroding our traditional notions of human choice and culpability. Trying to target mental health will likely only increase the entrenched stigmatization.

Removing access to the tools that enable rapid and deadly killing of large groups of people is the most logical solution.  But seeing as our society has debated this for a zillion times and refused to enact change, all we can do is wait for the next mass shooting. But hey, I mean lots of people die in car accidents, too? The proportion of gun violence deaths is lower than other statistics? So we should just put up with It? Maybe say some meaningless condolences about how awful it is when the next shooting happens?

Sigh.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:44 pm

laurav wrote:I'm not going to say much about the shooting because it is so frustrating. I have gone into the academic and to constitutional arguments after the Las Vegas shooting.

While people can focus on mental health as the issue, it's not practical nor feasible to imagine that we can adequately treat people so as to prevent gun violence or violent behavior. We have hundreds and thousands of years of history proving what people are capable of. Science in the field of neurology is steadily eroding our traditional notions of human choice and culpability. Trying to target mental health will likely only increase the entrenched stigmatization.

Removing access to the tools that enable rapid and deadly killing of large groups of people is the most logical solution.  But seeing as our society has debated this for a zillion times and refused to enact change, all we can do is wait for the next mass shooting. But hey, I mean lots of people die in car accidents, too? The proportion of gun violence deaths is lower than other statistics? So we should just put up with It? Maybe say some meaningless condolences about how awful it is when the next shooting happens?

Sigh.

I have to agree with you Laura, and you, too, Dee. It is heartbreaking to see kids with obvious mental health issues murdering their peers because they don't know how to control themselves or find help. It's my worst nightmare--that my kids could be caught in the middle of a school shooting.

How is everyone generally?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:07 pm

Waiting for the next snowstorm. Bones are aching badly. Haven't had any weed for over a week. My girl has been staying in Detroit and not coming back as frequently as she said. It's partially due to bad storms but she's happy over there with her boyfriend and only comes back to share custody of her daughters. I had a feeling this would happen and I'm quite pissed because she told me it wouldn't and I don't have anyone else "lined up". I know most of the people who sell good quality here and she's the only one who doesn't rip me off on quantity. So here I sit, hoping she'll be here soon.

Ella is good. Dwaine is good. Kyra is being a fluffbutt. April has ended her 1st trimester and is feeling more human now. She's doing what I did with my first pregnancy and loosing weight rather than gaining. It's not a bad thing. Baby is growing fine but seems to have her rapid heartbeat. My son and his girlfriend are moving into town in two weeks. I'm soooo happy that I'll be able to visit them outside of his work. Well, I will after weather clears and I get this stupid chair repaired - again. The rear castor wheels blew their bearings and the footrest cracked. Looking for someone OTHER THAN Wright & Fillipis to repair it has been difficult. Medicare only accredits a few places for these repairs so it's finding a needle in a haystack.

So how are you all doing.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:38 am

I'm sorry for not being present. I have been very busy and bummed out (and sometimes when I get down about stuff, I lack all desire to have to talk or share about it).

This ex employee bar complaint escalated again when the ex employee sent in 50 pages of text messages cut and past from 2016 that really try to distort and take things I have said out of context . Long story. Too long to get into. Other than that she has not submitted any evidence but keeps sending in lengthy letters griping. My attorney thinks the bar keeps kicking it down the road because she is all over the map and bogging them down.

A lot of my cases are sideways right now, too.

Dee, glad your daughter is into second trimester. That's a big improvement over the first. Did you ever re up your supply?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Laura. It sounds absolutely ridiculous from everything you have shared on and off here. I am astounded that someone with a purely vindictive agenda could manipulate and be taken seriously. If the Bar sends the message that they are going to encourage and reward that behavior, then they are opening the floodgates to this.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Yes Laura, I finally got some last week. She brought me a couple special cookies last night. To say I got a good night sleep is an understatement.

I'm upset that this person is still causing you problems. How are you feeling? Are you fully bumped out now?  How's Zoe? The new house?  Hope your cases square up soon.

Since my wc keeps breaking down we're going to get a 2nd hand push chair so we can get out and about until I can replace this thing. The caster wheels are outrageously priced and with the way it's wheeling, I can't even get to the Dr to get the scrip to start the repairs.

Oh well .. weather is getting milder. Hoping to see some crocuses soon.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:20 pm

I am glad the weather is improving. It's been very nice down here. Soon it will be back to the ridiculous humidity of Florida six months of the year.

I am really worn out by the bar complaint, too. It is convoluted which is why I have not gone into the details but at its root, there is no substance nor proof. Just allegations and a crazy ex employee who seems obsessed.

Glad you got your stash replenished, Dee.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:41 pm

I hope the bar realizes this is an empty complaint and fully dismisses the matter.

Do you have any suggestions for April? She's easing up on the nausea but now is dizzy as hell. She's called out of work two nights in a row. They have no maternity or other type of leave so she's using up her FMLA time. She runs metal presses. Being dizzy is not conducive to safety for either of them.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:59 pm

I really do. It's been pending since October now, and really just gone around in circles. My attorney suspects that they just don''t want to deal with her, so it floats around. Either way, it has been incredibly costly and stressful.

I had/still get the dizziness. It is generally a lack of blood flow to the brain either from the uterus, or the weight of the baby pressing on certain key veins; also, blood being redirected to the baby naturally slows return of blood to the mom. Probably increasing her iron intake greatly, like consuming a lot of greens, as well, and this is a big one for me, making sure she lies on her left side, which increases blood circulation to the uterus and maximizes blood flow to baby and mom.

She's in a tough spot though working machinery. Not good at all.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:52 pm

They're leaving her assignment up to her. She can retain employment but change what she does if she desires. But she really loves running the presses and training newbies. I will pass on your suggestions. I know it's irritating the hell out of her.  Her first big appt is next week, so she's going to address it with her gyn.

The weather broke these past few days. Currently 54F at almost 6 pm. Smile I heard some birds earlier. Hoping to see some cardinals and bluejays soon.

EDIT: just talked to her. She said THANK YOU very much. She tries to lay on her left but seems to flip over in her sleep. Said she's a lot better today though.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 pm

It seems like your employees (ex employees) turned everything into a shit show, Laura. I really hope you find out sooner rather than later what the outcome is, and that it gets dropped.

Dee, sorry your daughter is having such a hard time but it is crazy that she's already into the second trimester.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:48 pm

She informs me that she's still a week out from 2nd but her body seems to be acclimating finally. She said she's got a little bump but is plump, like me, so only she and her hubby notice it. I was in maternity pants in the 2nd months with both of mine.

I'm so overly stressed with all of the ongoing strife in the world and our country. Snow is almost all melted away. Tomorrow is check day and I'll be getting a push wheelchair (probably through FB Marketplace if I can find one that'll fit both my fat ass and my wallet) so we can actually get OUT and go places to socialize. So very sick of being stuck home. He says he'll be happy to push me around (rolls eyes). Not sure how this is going to feel or work. Ms independent doesn't like others doing FOR her ... an adjustment I'm not making gently. Perhaps getting out will help lift this fog and I can work toward being healthier.

How is life in TX James?

Jae, are you checking in?

Maria, where art thou???

Hugs around to all <3
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 pm

Hope you have enjoyed being out again, Dee. Life here is same as always. Long days, long weeks, and the rather monotonous routine of it all. I feel like I am in a rut and need to figure out a way out.

I kind of gave up hope of trying to get Maria and Jae to post. Figure if they ever do decide, they know where we are...

Kushner's downgraded security clearance was odd. It seems like a very topsy turvey white house more resembling a parody than an actual administration.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:44 am

Yeah, I'm enjoying being out again. Dwaine is getting the brakes done on the car and the tailpipe welded in the next few days. I haven't felt safe riding in it since the brakes started squealing. Well, actually since the accident in '16. I really want to get rid of this car. It's too small for me to be comfortable and the memories of it really suck.

I got Ella's taxes done. Thank God for TurboTax! It took me a few hours but I got it all done. No federal refund (no taxable income) and over $300 in state. I'm proud of myself. And I now remember why I never engaged that degree.

The whole administration makes my head hurt. The sooner they're ALL out of there, the better!
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:26 am

Ugh taxes, that's right up there with my anxiety over bar complaints, lol. I hate this time of the year. It always seem such a mess waiting for my accountant to finalize everything and never feeling like I really know what's going on with it. This year the issue was some large insurance pay outs to escrow being associated with an old EIN versus the new LLC EIN. For some reason my accountant got screwed around on which went with which.

Curious if anyone has seen the recently released Flint Town. It goes fairly into the police versus race relations and public image issues.

I don't think we have ever discussed the police and violence issue on here?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:22 pm

APOLOGIES!!!!!! I made it back!

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 pm

There are 6 users online. Who is here?

We have more storm warnings for tonight and this weekend with possible evacs , and school shooting warnings for tomorrow for crying out loud!

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Maria, welcome back. How's everything been going?

I started watching Flint Town. That seems like it will get quite a few awards. It does a really good job of showcasing the people of Flint without pushing and pulling us towards a conclusion. Dee not sure if you have Netflix but how good a job does it capture Michigan working class and impoverished people's sentiments with politics etc right now? Most including the cops seemed to be struggling just to survive financially.

As for police violence, I think the police have gotten far too accustomed to an US v. Them mentality. They believe they are targets of violence and in danger so they react disproportionality and then further hatred of police among community.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi James, we are fine. Only to find out we have another graffiti threat at my girls school. Yes, I just saw a preview of Flint and am going to watch it. I do think that the violence in our society is a responsibility that lays with parenting. All too often we expect Government to take care of our children.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:20 pm

What is a graffiti threat?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Welcome back Maria. Glad to hear from you. What is a graffiti threat? Never heard of that before.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 pm

A month ago we had a video threat where a boy was holding a musket, threatening to kill girls at our High School where my daughters go. They named the girls in a chat room. They were all 14 year old Freshmen. Then two graffiti bathroom threats showed up about a week ago that there would be school shooting on Friday March 9.

Today, I get a call from Sonya that they are in lock down. She is in the computer room and there is a police officer with them. Someone heard loud banging noises and had called the police. Apparently some kids put fire works in a garbage can.

At this point I have no idea what is going on. Nobody seems to know who is playing this game. Scary but I am prepping Sonya every day on what to do. I am contemplating getting body armor and/or a backpack that can work as body armor just in case. Crazy isn't it?

However SB County has the strictest gun control in the country. Nobody can get a concealed weapons permit unless you sleep with the Sheriff!!

We also have new evac orders out for yet another upcoming storm. But let me tell you what caused the 'mudslides'. They were not mudslides as my husband correctly identified almost immediately. It was a flash flood and they were caused by three water reservoirs up in the mountains above Montecito. There had been an electric outage that caused the floodgates to malfunction. Although the County is pretending this did not happen. It is stunning. They tried to deny it on their facebook page while it had been all over the news.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:29 pm

That all sounds horrible. I'm not surprised the county is trying to pretend it's something different. I'm sure your husband will agree it's to avoid litigation. If they admit there was a malfunction they're on the hook for lawsuits since it wasn't an "act of god" anymore.

I worry for kids and them developing ptsd and fears of going to school with all of these shootings and preparations to survive can be traumatic in and of itself.

I hope you all stay safe

Ella brought the yuck home so I'm off for a nap. Fever, cough, achiness... yuck! The only other person I've had contact with his my bf's nephew who's in a 1/2way house and was visiting us on furlough. I'm pretty sure it was from Ella though. She's been sick all week and it just culminated over the weekend. I started the achiness and coughing late last night.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 pm

I had not heard that about the flash floods. I agree with Dee--acts of god are way safer for legal purposes than something caused by human error, especially in a blame-driven culture like ours.

I am sorry that your school has been under threats like that. Have they gotten to the bottom of it?

Also sorry to hear you have the flu, Dee. It has been making its way around with a vengeance. Did you get the flu shot?

I don't agree that parents are responsible for violence in our society. Parenting is a catch-all favorite because almost any social ill can be blamed on environment and one's parents, but we have countries all around the globe with significant domestic issues that are not prone to mass shootings. The only real solution is to curtail access to firearms designed to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:30 pm

It's not the flu, it's an upper respiratory infection with sinusitis. The last time I had it this bad it went to pneumonia. I went to the Dr on Wed and he sent me home with cough syrup and an order to call Fri if I didn't feel better. Needless to say I was highly irritated. I called today and he prescribed the necessary antibiotic that he should have prescribed Wed. Why I had to endure two days of hell, no sleep, and coughing horribly is beyond me. I guess he's of the "Dr. House mentality" of all patients lie. He can't accuse me of being drug seeking since he hasn't seen me in 14 months! He also took a culture of the volcano on my head that he lanced and never healed last Jan ('17). Again, it's infected. . . . No culture results today but at least I now have the med I need. He'll be referring me to a dermatologist to have the skin issues addressed by someone who knows what they're doing.

I'm so tired on the gun issue. I don't see a simple solution and the multi tiered one would have a lot of people feeling butt hurt over having their toys taken away.

I hope you're all doing well. I'm hoping to be on the mend soon. The weather is starting to warm up a little (it's been in the 30s vs teens and low 20s) and I'd like to get out and do stuff, even if it's just from the car. I'm still trying to find a manual chair. I was just too sick to do the calling this week. It has to wait.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next