General Discussion and Updates

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by Dee S on Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:06 pm

We had a couple of days in the upper 30s/low 40s and the snow was melting. I woke up this afternoon (face it, I rarely do mornings - the perks of being older) to 18F and about 2" of new snow. Mad I was blaming my "chair dancing" to music for my sore back and hips last night. Now I know, it was the snow.

Congrats on finding out it's a girl Laura! I know Zoe is very happy. I hope things are progressing well with you.  My daughter has her first doctor's appointment coming up so we'll have a better idea when she's due.  When are you due?  So excited, more babies ! !  

I'm sad to hear about your grandpa. It's so hard to lose those we love. It's great that you're able to visit him and spend time with him. I was blessed to have mine close by when I was growing up. They've all passed on now though.

Maria, we're all praying for you, your family and your neighbors. I can't imagine going through all of this. It's so apocalyptic.

I *FINALLY* got out yesterday. With the bitter cold and all that damned snow I was pretty much trapped in the house. My legs are wholly unreliable now so going out with the walker is not feasible. That walk in the mall took me out for a few days. Dwaine has issues driving my chair if there's any snow on the ramp, so I'm kind of stuck. It was clear, albeit cold, yesterday but we went out for a couple of hours in the early evening. Just poketrolling, but it was nice to see my game friends. We all came together for a gym battle at one location so I got to see a bunch of them all at once. One of my "sons" was there with his brother. It's always good to spent time with them. I didn't catch the character but it was still a good time.

And today, there's about 2" of new snow. ::sigh:: ... did anyone hear those prison doors closing again?
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Sorry to hear that, Dee. The cold and snow can really hole people up. How long do the Michigan winters typically last or is it just up in the air?

I hope your daughter has a good check up and progresses normally. Does she have any morning sickness? Does she have any preference on boy or girl?

Maria did you ever make it to Sony's ballet? What's the current weather like there?

Congrats Laura on confirming it is a girl. Are you excited about the baby?

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Late Jan/Feb are the worst two months although we've had some pretty bad March's the past few years. Snow is usually done by late April. Although even that is iffy. LOL  Spring and Fall seem to be getting shorter and shorter.

Yes, she's having a horrible time with morning sickness. My formerly cast-iron stomached girl has so far ruled bacon out of her diet, and she's craving bananas. My sister and I both warned her that could change, mid-bite. The torture doesn't start when they're born.  She's VERY excited!  

I FORGOT! She messaged me to tell me THEY BOUGHT A HOUSE! It's a beautiful ranch with garage, guest house (they'll be sharing with a friend), full garage and a few other buildings as well as an already well-done garden. Windows, roof and concrete drive are all 2 yrs old or less. New appliances and floors. Under $120,000; second offer accepted. I have a feeling this will move quickly. They had already lined up financing, just had to find "the" property. They'll be back out in the more urban area - they have just over an acre - where she can have a horse or livestock if they desire. And if "friend" doesn't work, mamma has a place to go. I have a feeling that's kind of their fore-planning since I don't see him hanging around for long, he's a wanderer but a part of the family too. The main house is a 2 bedroom with very large rooms. The guest house is a full one bedroom with an enclosed cement patio.  I also saw a fire pit with benches that I know will be used often.  The area has a lot of well water but not sure if this one is township or well. I hope it's piped in since the water is horribly rusty. We lived a block over from where they're moving and the water was terrible.

I'm curious to hear how all of you are fairing.

Jae are you peeking in? Miss you

Maria, hope all is well and this silence is just you being busy.

James, what are winters in Houston like?

Laura are you having bad morning sickness? April (my daughter) is hoping hers eases up in the 2nd trimester. I didn't have it with either pregnancy so I have no clue.  Are you settling into your new home easily?

I hope everything is well with everyone.  I keep reminding Chromie to pop in, but he's finally got his Doom game running right so he's deep into killing things and saying rude things to the computer screen.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:02 am

Hi everyone, I was still not getting notifications for new posts but I think it is because the place we moved to is on outskirts of city and we did not get coverage consistently until we switched to AT & T today. I received all the notifications I missed as soon as I switched along with other work related emails I had missed.

Dee, I remember Gordie describing some long and miserable winters up there. I feel for you. That is great news on your daughter's house, and a great investment in their financial future.

In regards to morning sickness, yeah I do get it along with fairly intense fatigue, heightened sense of smell etc. I am probably somewhere in the middle since I know people who get it worse. It can be very up and down. It improved somewhat in second trimester energy wise. Everyone is different though so she could be in for a more or less intense experience. I agree with James that her job could be a not so great situation for her while pregnant and morning sick. Hopefully they will make accommodations.

I have officially given up on trying to follow the news other than listening to NPR.

I am astounded by what happened in California. A brutal situation.

FYI, Netflix original Dark is very good. It is in German but many peoole I know are really into it. I liked it enough to want to rewatch. Fascinating plot involving time travel between three different generations of a small town.

I am excited about having another girl. Will be happy to be through the pregnancy. I am due May 18. Right now I am very busy trying to get the firm ready for transition.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am

I am not getting notifications either, Laura, so it may be this Forum having an issue and not our providers. It does make it harder to give real time responses when notifications do not come in.

All this baby talk bounce Hard to imagine a more exciting time, nor more of a roller coaster than having the little ones. It is amazing how little people can have such an enormous impact on our heart, although I am thankful I will never have to deal with morning sickness.

Buying a house? Your daughter and her husband are definitely feeling the urge to raise a family I think, Dee.

I have also despaired for the nation. Trump's the true post-modern spectacle.

I have heard a lot about Dark being better and more intense than Stranger Things as well as a mind bender. I need to watch. The Netflix originals are amazing injection of better crafted drama.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 am

I'm getting notifications but had reset them after the forum archived. Perhaps you're subscribed to the old thread?

It's a thought.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm

I tried that a few times, but either way finally working now.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:07 am

What's everyone up to?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 am

2:30 am, watching downloaded shows (Seal Team right now) smoking a lil weed and glad our temps are closer to 40 than 0.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 pm

I have been super busy due to the accounting deadlines imposed this time of year--it will thin out by summer.

How has weather been, Dee? Did your daughter make it to a doctor to confirm baby due date?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:24 pm

We got warmish for a few days but it snowed again yesterday. We're hovering around 30 though, so not horrible. It's MI. In winter. It's been worse!

They're sticking with Sept 5 as a due date but they did that with me too when I was pregnant with her and then moved it back as the measurements showed otherwise. As long as baby is healthy.

ALSO they have closing on their house scheduled for Feb 12th but FHA is giving them issues. It'll all work out but she's stressed. AND their POS car has broken down, again. I can't wait until they can replace it.

Hope things ease up on you soon James. I have the paperwork here to do Ella's and haven't jumped in yet. It's a chore that I don't enjoy. Strange since my AA is in accounting and tax accounting was a big part of it.

Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi all, sorry I have been so absent. Kind of crazy right now.

Dee, how is your daughter doing?

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:44 pm

She's doing well. Still has the morning sickness and exhaustion. They're also stressed out with the upcoming closing, some hidden costs that always crop up when buying a house and now their car is being unreliable. Her husband works for Herman Miller through a temp service and had been shifted from the local plant to one down in Holland - at least an hour one way. Their car is just not made for this trip every day. He's trying to get transferred back to the local shop but they're now saying they won't do that until he's been there for 6 months. The company is well known for jerking it's employees around, especially temps.

They're going FHA and kind of bending rules for the down payment. 3rd shift and all this stress isn't great for her. She's taken a few sick days.

How are you doing?
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:25 pm

We are a lively bunch. This month has been a blur. I feel bad I have been so absent but I will start checking in again

Dee, that is too bad about your daughter. It sounds like a lot of stress financially and physically for her. Is she feeling any better?

So Trump is on year 2... I don't feel I have much to add anymore other than some hope we can get on a more stabilized trajectory. Interestingly for all the talk of the economy being smoking, the numbers I am working with at my job right now are not nearing that out..

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 pm

She's in week 9 now, no, not any better. Her work has been fantastic. They don't offer maternity leave but her HR manager called her this morning to discuss her accessing temporary disability and FMLA days so she doesn't burn up her absentee points which can lead to her losing her job. The woman wanted to make sure she had the supports in her team so she wasn't lifting or doing other things that a woman in her 1st trimester should be avoiding. She says she's sooooooo very tired. I remember sleeping a lot with both of mine. I hope her nausea eases up. It has really drained what natural energy she has by fighting that on top of what the little bean is sucking up.

My son announced yesterday that he and his gf are giving up their apt on Wolf Lake and moving into town, nearer to their work and people they want to be near. They've found a place near the bus company my son manages. The best part is that I can go visit him at his home rather than the places where he works. Not that it's a problem (according to him and his boss) but it's awkward and not professional. My son James works for a local bonds company, manages a party bus co (for the same boss), works as a bouncer/security for a local brewery/bar and sundry other things throughout the year. If you hear about the Burning Foot Festival, that's one of his passions. He does a lot of their publicity as well as all of their tech. Last summer he was begging, borrowing and buying tablets so that each vendor had access for debit/credit cards and could maximize their sales. A radio friend of his has been trying to get him into doing radio as well. There's just not enough of him to go around. LOL

I don't feel the economy has gotten better. IF it had gotten better I wouldn't have gotten a raise in my SSI this year. I did. That only "earns" an increase when the economy has worsened. We didn't get one last year.

I put up a video on my FB from Politifact that took each claim and tested it for truthfulness. He failed so badly in that speech. Despite his clean bill of health I don't feel that man is mentally stable.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:35 am

Just popping in to say hi since it's been a long absence. Hope all is well. Couldn't help but notice that we're coming up on the 10 year anniversary of the QR YT initiative where we all met on March 30th. It would've been cool to gather up the old group and make a video showing where we all are after 10 years...too bad we couldn't get more people on here

Jae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Jae! Good to hear from you. I did not know we were coming up on a ten year anniversary. Does seem like a long time ago although not as long as ten years. I wonder how well our anti-Trump feelings would jive with QR's PR now? I think she and her administration felt more comfortable being outspoken ten years ago because Bush was so unpopular domestically and abroad at that point, and the situation in the Middle East.

She and Abdullah were according to reports more distant with Obama than they have been with Trump, and they have been much more anxious to appease Trump. I think that may be because Jordan was ready to take military action in Syria situation out of unease and issues with their swamped boarder.

Anyway, it really is a shame we did not get more people back. Reem and Abdul were always the type that didn't want to be found or known in ' real life' so that made it virtually impossible to track down. I was able to use Reem's literary interests and thus her chosen email address which references Virginia Wolf to track her to an Instagram and putting that with statements alluding to the hills of the northeast, I think I found her in real life. She is married to a doctor in Connecticut or upstate NY. I cannot recall which, but that was last year when we reunited, and I suddenly felt like a creepy, stalker so I dropped the whole pursuit.

I cannot honestly remember if Harvey and I even left on good terms. I never had his email though.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:34 pm

Hi Jae, it's good to hear from you. A lot has happened in ten years. It's hard for me to even remember or relate to myself back then because everything was so different back then. I think I was more of a hot head and had more conflicts with Harvey (that's entire way I got sucked into QR channel, as he started baiting me on religious issues). My memories of how things ended with Reem, Abdul, Harvey are all very sketchy as well. I  agree, James, that pursuing it more could end up being too stalkerish and probably an invasion of their desire for privacy.

I feel for your daughter, Dee. For me, the exhaustion was by far and away overwhelming. I had to will myself through the days, and by about week 8/9 it really turned into a black hole. I wonder sometimes when older women mention not remembering morning sickness or being sick during their pregnancy if the memories are accurate or if it all fades with time?

I've been swamped a bit on my end. The never ending and disheartening litigation journey has gotten very old. I feel chronically frustrated with my career. I had to set a two day trial only a couple weeks after my due date. I'm very over it all--the neuroticism of clients, judges, and other lawyers, the unrealistic goals and shitty ways people behave day in and day out.

But, it's a living and I have no room to complain in this world.

Speaking of complaints, that stupid bar complaint is also still going on. The damn ex employee keeps missing deadlines and applying for extensions to string it a long. The bar sent her a letter a few weeks ago telling her to produce proof of the allegations she keeps making by January 31st. She missed that deadline, too, but I am sure she'll do something else to keep me racking up attorney fees.

I agree on Jordan being a lap dog to Trump administration although they did push back on embassy in Jerusalem. I think they are between rock and a hard place. They have no real natural resources to speak of, and are a moderate country in between the extremes of Israel, Syria, Saudia Arabia, Iraq... survival demands their continued diplomacy.

I got rid of my cable news by the way. That burned out with Trump and related news. Sick of hearing talking heads opine. Sick of what is going on in Congress, and frankly feeling completely cynical about trying to change it.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:23 am

I'm not a huge sports fan. I actually loathe most sports. But when my hometown team WINS THE SUPERBOWL .. I'm over the moon.... so a moment please... They didn't suck! Wink

Chromie actually had to deal with ME being loud for once.
As for politics, I'm still anti-anythingDrumpf. He has no business in that seat and the sooner he's removed, the better. Then again, I don't like the idea of Pence or Ryan in that chair either. The recent memo controversy is interesting and I've seen opined that the election could be called into question (who'd'a'guessed?) due to Russian interference in ads toward MI and MN voters to sway them away from the Democrats. IDK if they're also looking into tampering but I doubt any of it will go anywhere and we're probably stuck with this dunce in the chair for another 3 years.
UGH.... unless he drops over.

April seems to be feeling a bit better. Her one huge craving is tacos. So they're having lots and lots of tacos. Still on hold to see if the house/car situations are going to be able to be done at the same time.

Where we all parted is a fog to me. I believe I stepped away when Harvey got so belligerent.
I really didn't like him much at the end and decided to remove myself from it all rather than join in any rukas. Again, memory is very foggy from that time, so I could be way off. 10 years is a long time with what's happened in the past 15. Too many traumas have me questioning my own name occasionally.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 am

Congrats on Eagles winning, Dee. I don't really follow football, although I usually play the Superbowl in the background (that whole getting rid of cable thing prevented it this year). I must say I am very happy the Patriots did not win. I am sick of them winning and Trump roots for them.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 pm

I agree. I was thoroughly sick of the Patriots dominating things and thrilled anyone but the Patriots won, but since it was your home team, that's even better, Dee.

Thinking back ten yeas, my daughter (second child) had just been born when I joined QR--so her whole life to date parallels that span of time (and also interesting that Laura's second will correspond to about the same time ten years later).

Glad to hear your daughter is doing better, Dee. Thinking back to the QR days and babies being born, I think the first trimester is the worst for the parents, Dee--i.e. your daughter and son-in-law's financial stress and her sickness is tangible and the immediancy of the long term changes are very "present," but the more immediate joys of the mid pregnancy sonogram, feeling the baby moving, knowing the birth is near is still "far away" in the sense that you feel all the implications of the big picture but the little moments of joy less. Money is always a huge concern. Kids are expensive little money pits.

Jae, have you given any more thought to insemination?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

We've gotten very quite on here. Nonetheless, I want it to remain open in case anyone wants to come on to emote, connect, celebrate.

It's been a blur here, but nothing spectacular.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Yet another mass shooting .... I'm broken.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Well, nothing is going to change. We know this will happen again and again and again. We can take some sort of absurd and perverse comfort in providing all the reasons why car accidents are just as deadly or compare put country to situation violence in other countries, but I fail to see how that is any kind of comfort or meaningful response. It is an example of minimizing rationalizations. But since we have had the conversation before on here, I won't rehash.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:23 pm

19 school shootings this year.
We're not even in March.
I don't have a solution but there has to be something that will slow these down if not stop them all together.

NINETEEN!

Having been the victim of gun violence, up close and personal, I know there isn't much we can do. But something. Better coordination of "troubled" children and their activities between schools, parents and police? It's not the fault of guns or their availability. This is people doing this. Children, doing this.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next