General Discussion and Updates

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Re: General Discussion and Updates

Post by laurav on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Is it not a holiday for you Dee because of religious reasons or because of personal reasons? My husband hates the holidays, although I make him celebrate for Zoe's sake, because it reminds him of working in the catering business for his dad. Apparently it was a horrible time of year with all the holidays because his parents were always super stressed. And he can never get away from the bad associations.

I agree in regards that sex of baby is irrelevant as long as healthy. That's my greatest anxiety and one I think it is impossible to not worry about when expecting--that the baby won't be healthy or have complications.

My dad was visibly upset that they think the baby is a girl, and he kept insisting that it will probably be a boy in the end. But he has also been referring to the baby as 'my grandson' since he found out I was pregnant. He has difficulty separating what he wants from reality sometimes. I hope he gets over it when baby is born if the girl prediction holds true (which it most likely will at this point given the doctor said she is fairly sure it is a girl).

In other news, we are moving into our new house right now. I will be glad when moving part is done.

What is weather like in MI? News has been showing extreme cold weather snaps up north.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:12 pm

I think there is an expectation that if you have a child of one sex, your next one should be the opposite sex. It is an absurd expectation and I don't get it. Everyone was thrilled when we had a little girl after having my son. I guess they figured cosmic karma of the universe balanced out. Don't let anyone anything encroach on the joy of having your child. It was one of the redeemable moments in life when looking back.

Good thing about a girl is that she is more likely to get your looks than Steven's Wink jk.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://forumforus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:21 pm

I don't celebrate for both reasons. It's not a Muslim holiday although some do celebrate in the gathering family/gifts manner and for personal reasons because I hate the commerciality and stress of feeling pressured to give gifts. I don't see why we feel obligated to gather with people we rarely see, make nice, and often end up in arguments or hurt feelings. Or feelings of inadequacy when someone criticizes what we do/say/buy/give/decorate/cook, etc. I give gifts and love all year around.

I hope your father adjusts his thinking. I understand him wanting a male child but reality is just that. I didn't do more than one sonogram with my kids and those were only to make sure there were no abnormalities. Neither was positioned to see nor was the quality of images like it is today. Everyone said James was a girl - I knew in my heart he was a he THEN said April was a boy - again, I was pretty sure since i carried completely differently with her.

Congrats on the moving in part. Now you can settle in and get back into a "normal" kind of routine. Your house went up fast! I recall you saying you were building it?

The weather. Wellllll Muskegon, MI is breaking all records right now. We have so much snow, and it's still falling, there's no point in calling a plow in until Monday. We're in a horrible lake effect resurgence and are getting dumped on where inland is clear. Lake effect snows form when the water is warm enough to refill the vapor in the cooler air and continues to reform the snow clouds. On radar it looks like a "rolling" cloud that doesn't move. I've put up a few videos on my profile from my front porch. I do it every year since I have people all over the world as FB friends who never get to see snow. It's felt magical the past few nights with the flakes falling so heavily and being so large that it feels like you're in a snow globe. BTW, we're currently at 9F ... yes, NINE. Yesterday we topped out at 17F!

I did get out last night, although that was nearly a disaster due to his not reshoveling the ramp after my son-in-law did a half assed (but done from love) job on it. I ride my chair to the car and Dwaine drives it back in and we do the reverse when we get home. Simple, right? hahahahaha not so last night. I told him to put down the "green melt" salt - it actually works best when it's this cold. He didn't. I told him to run the shovel over the snow, it was still too deep. He didn't. It took him almost a half hour to maneuver/drag/push/pull my chair back up the ramp then he got it stuck in the doorway. I slowly walked my way back inside when we got home. It wasn't fun and my back is all kinds of messed up today. Walking is not something I'm able to do without injury now.

Happy happy happy happy news though, and the final gift of the wonderful birthday and xmas gifts my kids gave me (they celebrate and I do love pressies) is that my daughter is pregnant Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Co-ink-i-dink of alllll coinkidinks, they're pretty sure they conceived on my mother's birthday ... Nov 14. Further irony into the mix is that's the date she was conceived. It's likely her baby will be born around her birthday. April was a planned c-section at birth so probably the week after unless she got her dates mixed up. It's STILL a secret - they haven't told all the family yet (we were first after roommates and bestie) but - YEEEHAHHHH I'm gunna be a grandma of a child I can actually SEE! Very Happy

I see James posted while I was typing so .. posting and will maybe reply again. Very Happy I just woke up so I'm rambly. Hope you're all well and MUCH warmer than we are here.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Some articles from our state's main newspaper.  A 40 car pileup not far from us and the only highway north south along the lakeshore. You CAN get there via backroads but they are in much worse shape than the highway. http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/12/mans_dramatic_video_shows_vehi.html

And our record breaking city. Downtown is booming and I'm proud to say the road crews are ON IT like fleas on a dog. Our road that is normally difficult, has been kept pretty clear (speed and black ice is mostly the cause of the above accident) considering we have well over 3 feet of snow in places.... 2 feet from just the past two days.  Here's the article on that.. http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2017/12/muskegon_breaks_56-year-old_sn.html

Brrrrr... I'm going to find more clothes.... it's drafty in here.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Yikes, Dee on the weather. My sister is in Minnesota and it has been 30 below there. Coldest winter on record in a long time or something to that effect. I can only imagine how cold Michigan is as well from what you describe.

The house did go up fast. They poured the foundation in November, and it is a five bedroom, two story house, so was not a small project. I think because of seller's sale goals for the year, they rushed it. I'll have to take some pics when we are actually settled in.

I think the moving around and some other issues took a huge toll on Zoe, however. I don't know if my husband and I's work schedules are good for her.

As far as the bombshell you dropped yesterday, that's huge news on the grandchild! Do they have a due date yet? Congrats!

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 am

The weather is frightening, to say the least. I'm sure your sister is having even more issues with it. This part of the country is in a deep freeze. Even my family in NJ are feeling it. I heard a part of FL is expecting flurries! It's nuts.

No due date yet. Probably early or mid August if her conception date is right. Still a secret though. They are saving is nutcase mother for last. Jackie is a trip. April barely tolerates her, so it could get ugly.
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:17 pm

I would not worry too much Laura about Zoe. Kids, all kids, have different temperaments and go through different phases. I have come to the conclusion that there is no perfect parenting strategy or method. My daughter has always been high energy and prone to trouble while my son is normally much calmer (so much for the gender myths about boys being rambunctious and girls being sweet and calm).

Have fun with the house. Those big transitions can be tough, especially with work and all the 'chatter' of every day life.

Dee, you must be over joyed? How exciting is having a grandchild going to be? So you don't know how far along they are other than maybe 6 weeks or so? I am glad she did not wait until things were 'right' because so many people wait until they think the timing is good financially etc only to find out conceiving is more difficult than they thought. It is going to be a life changing experience for her.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:55 pm

She'll be an excellent mom. She's been nannying since she was a teenager (long story but a friend took her from me to watch her kids and refused to return her - very long story). She loves kids and is just fantastic with them. She's strict enough with just enough playfulness that I know she'll raise really wonderful kids.

They're looking for a new house. The guy they're living with is moving out and is going to be renting it out. They thought about staying there but there's a horrible gas odor and they just don't want to take any chances. They also want THEIR OWN place. I'm pretty sure they'll be moving out to one of the trailer parks to be near her best friend.

Yes James, I'm over the moon about it. I want to shout it from the rooftops but, unless they announced it on FB today, they haven't yet due to not telling Jackie and Shane's sister. I do have a granddaughter but I never get to see her other than her picture sitting alongside my monitor. She's 11. My son gave up rights to her so our connection is almost nonexistent. I can't get to them where they live and she won't come here. Am I wrong here but shouldn't the grandchild come visit the elder? I love her mom but she also gets on my last nerve with her prissiness.

I'm with you on the gender myth! My daughter loved mud and bugs and my son would come running for a wash-up at the first sign of dirt. From the way Shane and April were talking, they both want a little girl first. A boy would be great but I think they want the frillies and dollies first. They both work in manufacturing, she at Acemco (auto parts) and he is at Herman Miller (furniture). She's already getting hell at her work for lifting etc.... She runs the 800 and 1000 ton presses ... so that makes me crack up laughing. She just tells them to back off, she's not made of glass and will determine what's too much. She's their only female large press operator, only 3rd shift female and their trainer for new hires on presses. She just got a raise and increase in status there so the pregnancy couldn't have come at a better time. They're doing OK.

So how are you doing James? Laura? Maria where are you? Too quiet!! Jae are you there reading and not commenting? I miss you all and hope we get a little more lively soon.

IDK what Dwaine is doing about getting on the forum. He says he will then doesn't. I'll nudge Mark again but he may need another invite. Is there a way I can personally send invites or can it only be done through Admin?
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Dee, I think you could copy and past link to forum home page and email. I do not believe this site allows anyone other than creator to send invites unfortunately Sad

It would be wonderful to get some new members!

I am very happy for you and for your daughter. I hope she has a smooth pregnancy. Her job does sound intense. Will she be able to keep that up while pregnant?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:32 am

She shouldn't have much problem until the end. As protective as her work crew is they'll move her to something light toward the end, if that's what she wants. Family first. She's tough but won't risk their plans or her family for a job.

I'll try the link. Just not tonight. LOL
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm

I hope she has an easy pregnancy but working while pregnant would be hard on anyone. I am very excited for you!

We are apparently starting 2018 off with continuation of crazy weather from 2017. I have a couple childhood friends on FB that are convinced we are living in the end times and talking about getting right with Jesus.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 pm

Here is some of our crazy local weather. Sadly the homeless are not typically provided for because the temps are more moderate: https://www.ksat.com/news/cold-weather-believed-responsible-for-deaths-of-2-homeless-people-chief-says

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:04 pm

It has been low 30a in Florida with sleeting rain. I am on my way back from Germany tomorrow where it has also been rain and cold but not as bad as what is going on in east coast.

I am feeling fairly blah in general. Getting over a virus I picked up while here and feeling generally demotivated towards life, lol.

Hoping I won't have to travel again for rest of pregnancy.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Hope you had a safe trip, Laura. How was Germany? What do you normally do there?

Been busy here. This is hectic time of year for government accountants.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:54 pm

Am I here? What happened to the pages?

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:56 pm

Hello everybody, I made it back. Well, I am exhausted from the roller coaster. It just doesn't stop.

We have new evac orders for Montecito. These people are banned from their houses. Lydia's boyfriend's sister was rescued by the National Guard and they hiked the entire family out. Most got rescued by helicopter and helicopters have been going every day, every minute of the day over my house since the start of the Thomas Fire.

Here is the latest.

Folks that live inside that Public Safety Exclusion Zone (black enclosure) are told to leave tonight, 1/11/18, at 6 p.m. This is not up for debate. The area is now under a mandatory evacuation order to allow search and rescue teams to keep doing their job. More info:http://bit.ly/2FqdsHy

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DutchessMaria on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 am

In the meanwhile, I was supposed to take Sonya to Long Beach on Sunday for her ballet. Freeway is still closed. Now we are contemplating a ferry and renting a car on the other side of the closed section. See how crazy it gets? I hope everybody had a wonderful Holiday season. We didn't get a Christmas tree up till the 23rd. All of town was closed the entire month of December. Kids were out of school from Dec9 till Jan 2. Ashes everywhere. The smell of soot got to us but after the heavy rain this last weekend, it smells like normal again outside. I had my house all locked up all this time. Packing for our evac order. Unpacking again and Katya kept wondering why we were packing and unpacking but no trip.

DutchessMaria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 am

WELCOME BACK! cheers

That all sounds sooooo exhausting. So you don't have to leave now? That's great! I really hope this all passes very soon and life returns to your normal. What do you do to stay so calm? Do you have your "freakout" moments? As for Christmas, why not make a date in the next few weeks to have a late Christmas? I have lots of snow we can send! Wink LOL
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:05 pm

So I did not get notified that there were new posts. Maria that has truly been awful. I hope stuff gets back to semi normal soon. It was really saddening to hear the interviews of people affected on NPR.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 pm

The forum automatically archived the previous pages. They are on main page and can be accessed but new posts have to go on this thread and nothing sadly I can do to change that.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Poor Katya, Maria. She must have been so confused

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Now I'm really concerned again...

Maria, have you evacuated? Are you under an order to do so again? https://apnews.com/ca9b6f92980646f3b0faeed3abda34f4
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:05 pm

I think she is safe. My understanding is that her immediate area (vegetation behind it etc) was unscathed by the fire and therefore their area is not under imminent threat.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee S on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks James. This is just a horrendous chain of events. Sad
Dee S

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laurav on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:48 am

I was not getting the notifications either. Weird. I 'unwatched' and then clicked on 'watched' again to see if that fixes it.

Germany was kind of frustrating situation but long story. I really think my grandfather is ready to pass on after my grandma passed away last January, and it is hard to imagine what being 97 years old feels like.

Btw we had another ultra sound (did the 3d/4d scan) and we are definitely having a girl which made Zoe very happy, lol.

The stuff in California has been very unfortunate. It puts in perspective the mud slides that happen in less developed countries. I think we all naturally end up with somewhat insulated views of the weather--it is something we tend to feel is a controlled force when reality is anything but.

I hope things are going relatively well, Maria, despite the hurdles of the last couple months.

Dee, I think I am officially getting older because the cold was getting to me in Germany this time, and it is nothing like what you have up there.

laurav

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next